wheelchair user with selective mutism seeks employment in London Islington — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

wheelchair user with selective mutism seeks employment in London Islington

Options
jays712
jays712 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited April 2018 in Start here and say hello!
Hello, my name is Jonathan (username jays712) I am a wheelchair user with spastic quadriplegia and selective mutism living in Islington.  After many years of being institutionalised in my own home, I have decided to break out of my comfort zone and deinstitutionalise myself by trying to re-enter the world of work.  I last worked in 2001 as a career guidance officer to disabled people in Hackney but had to resign because of stress and pressure.  I have emailed the Support to Work section of Scope asking them if they could set up a meeting with an employment advisor.  I await their reply after the Easter holiday.  I am a graduate with a degree in history from York University.  I obtained a postgraduate diploma in theology from Oxford University.  I lost my voice in 2014 and now communicate by text to speech software on a tablet computer on which I type out sentences with my one good hand.  I am computer literate and have knowledge of three foreign languages.  I used to write a blog on theology and Christianity.  I am now in the process of setting up my own website www.thedisabledevangelical.org.  Does anyone in the Scope community have any ideas or advice about how to obtain part-time employment in London?  I am not sure what I want to do.  I realise that my inability to use the telephone will prove a difficulty, but I do not believe that barrier is insurmountable.  Please post your replies with ideas and suggestions on this site.   Thank you for reading and thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Jonathan @jays712 and welcome to the community. Very glad to 'meet' you and hugely impressed by your 'get up and go'!
    From what I see here you are doing pretty much all you can do (and doing it well), and the Support to Work team will, I'm sure, get back to you.
    Things are a little quiet here, I think, because of the weekend and Easter, but other members will, I'm sure, be in touch with you in the near future, both to welcome you and to offer any suggestions they may have.
    If you haven't already done so, you might like to try the Ask an employment advisor link here https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-employment-advisor
    Hope some of this is of some use. Do get back to us, any time.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.