Medical at dhss — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Medical at dhss

JuneLesley
JuneLesley Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I went for a medical at the Job Centre and when I heard from them it said didn't look depressed, even though I have suffered with depression and anxiety nearly all my life, had years of counselling and medication. How can they say someone isn't depressed, or has depression got a certain look now all of a sudden

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello June @JuneLesley and a warm welcome to the community. To say that someone didn't look depressed is, of course, total BS (borrowing the Americanism here). I don't know about you but I never saw the great Robin Williams (of Mrs Doubtfire, Good Morning Vietnam, Mork and Mindy and so much more) looking depressed, but that did not stop him from taking his own life.
    We can all of us 'put on a face' when we need to, and it is absolutely routine for people to say after some critical event "I never knew he/she was depressed! You would never think it to look at them."
    One of our benefit advisors will probably be able to give you some idea as to what to do about this, and I don't doubt they'll be in touch in due course. For now, please bear with us and keep in touch.
    You matter.
    Here and listening,
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi JuneLesley and welcome

It is not possible to speculate on the outcome of any assessment. You should ring DWP within a few days and ask for a copy of the assesment report

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Let us know how you get on @JuneLesley

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Was this a PIP assessment?
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Just realised it was ESA.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.