What are 'essentials' — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are 'essentials'

Options
whistles
whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
edited April 2018 in Coffee lounge
Can't sleep so.

Just nosing on one of the government websites about sanctions- I remembered about the I Daniel Blake film and it brought this up.

Help if your payment is stopped or reduced

You can ask for a hardship payment if you can’t pay for rent, heating, food or hygiene needs because you got a sanction. You’ll repay it through your Universal Credit payments - they’ll be lower until you pay it back.

You must be 18 or over.

You’ll have to show that you’ve tried to:

• find the money from somewhere else
  • only spend money on essentials

It doesn't say what essentials actually are does it, but isn't it a tad insulting if they cut your money and then dictate where you spend it?
The money somewhere else, begging off friends or family I presume. 
And because its linked to the rent element, stopping it might effectively stops your rent. Hasn't anyone high up not thought that's a really **** idea! If there is one thing I think is a bad idea about UC, it's that.

I've turned off the heating because what I get now to live on it needs to be only when its 'essential'. But according to this they will give you a hardship payment. So how many of us live in hardship already. 

Pointless thread. Can't sleep.  :)
Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.