Audiology — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Audiology

Options
MITCH1949
MITCH1949 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
edited April 2018 in Sensory impairments
every time I visit audiology "my aids are not working right" "I can't hear anything from the right one"..they connect them to their computer......(. LITTLE BRITAIN  ) puter says  "No"
my ears I know ...recently I was told. these aids have filers which need cleaning can I do it  'No '.I was out with bobby my shih tzu turned to check the road .a tram was a foot away,I hadn't heard it.told the audiologist. can I have a spare one used obselete one,just so I can hear if the filters need another clean NO...Easter sunday I had appointment with doctor to discuss the lack of action regarding dental treatment (caused by alentronic acid now known to break teeth, jaws) and appointment to discuss the dexa bone scan taken 9 months ago.I had to restrain my anger  i could in a quiet surgery barely hear the doctor.persistence achieved a letter to dental and osteoporosis departments at local hospital. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr deep breathing exercises ROFL

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Im sorry that you are struggling with this and hope @VickiKirwin can offer some support soon!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • MITCH1949
    Options
    iv appointment on 11th April,I'll just be polite if I  don't resolve  it.I'll ask to see the clinic manager that's worked previously.or I'll threaten them with ex wife,that should do it...

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Of course we all need to be polite and courteous but we can also be forthright in what we need.  

Would it help to take a list of issues you need resolved so they understand what you are hoping to get out of the appointment?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • VickiKirwin
    VickiKirwin Community member Posts: 69 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @MITCH1949

Since our hearing continues to change as we get older, the hearing aids may still be working OK, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are still right for your hearing. This may be particularly the case if you have osteoporosis which is known to affect the hearing as well as other bones in the body, and it would be worth reminding your audiologist of this if they haven't already got a note of your full medical history. Repair appointments tend to be very short and they can't do full testing for you in one of those so I would start by asking the audiologist to book you in for a reassessment appointment. This would typically take 45 - 60 minutes and include tests of hearing level and possibly also some speech discrimination tests (sometimes we can detect that people are talking to us but not make out what they are saying clearly and if tests show that then it might be a different type of support is needed in addition to your hearing aids). 

If it is not possible for you to change the filters yourself then do discuss this with the audiologist too - they should be able to come up with a solution or different model of hearing aid where this isn't necessary. 

All the best and let us know how you get on. 

Vicki
  • MITCH1949
    Options
    thanks I didn't know osteoporosis could affect hearing,I'll add that to my ammunition on the 11th April.I can't remember when I last had a full review so another point to bring up.it was so much easier when audiology dept was part of the hospital just go in tell reception ,get seen to.now I make a appointment at the libary,the audiology dept covers 4 venues on different days.this appointment was made 3 weeks ago.......we British are known for our love of queuing..

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.