ESA ADVICE PLEASE ? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA ADVICE PLEASE ?

Lost
Lost Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
Hi guys to cut long story short I just had Maximus assessment this Wednesday ESA advisor called me and said I did not score enough points they paid me my w weeks payment in Wednesday and told me I would get letter by end of this week I'm assuming tomorrow I will get this letter. He'd said I can ask for
MR ( Mandatory Reconsideration ) 

Small background about me. 2007 I fell off 3 story building I smashed my right ankle to peaces and snapped my left ankle in multiple places now I have pins inside and suffer from severe mobility because of it. Then in 2014 I was in severe RTC ( Road Trafic Colision ) where I was hit hard by large Lorry and I was sandwiched between 2 lorrys I had to go to 2 different hospital and I fractured my back in multiple places. On top of this I suffer from Severe Anxity and Depression. I'm taking around 25+ tablets on daily bases 

I have a letter from doctor which mentions all this I sent this off to DWP and was told I need to attend F2F assessment. I did and to my surprise I was told by ESA advisor I did not score enough points. He said I can ask for MR once I get the letter from them and I would get reply with in 10 days. Last year I had my PIP assessment and I passed, year before that I had my ESA and passed that also infact from 2007 till now I always passed my PIP and ESA.

Here are my questions. ( sorry for long post ) 

1. When asking for MR do many people actually win this as if decision maker already failed you dye to lie on the report from Maximus why would they change their mind now. 

2. When asking for MR what should I include in that letter?

3. If I fail MR I was told I can apeal that decision also and I would get my ESA reinstated till appeal is going on I would like to know if this is true first of all and if it is how much me and my wife would get as joint claim ? Shes my carer. 

4. Is it actually worth appealing MR if I fail to tribunal ? Can I just reapply for ESA instead of wasting time reason I say this I have been  getting chest pains nd it's been getting worse as well as black outs at times which is not on original ESA claim nor this was told to DWP or maximus. Or do you think it's better just to apeal to tribunal first and then if I'm not successful the reapply to ESA. Can people actually reapply for ESA if they fail at MR and tribunal ? 

Sorry for long post  it I really could use your help and advice on this please.

Thank you.
Lost

Comments

• sleepy1
    sleepy1 Community member Posts: 297 Pioneering
    Hello @Lost and welcome to Scope, I am not an adviser but will try and help.  It seems not many people have their decision changed at the MR stage but in order to go to appeal you have to do the MR and send in a copy of the decision letter with your appeal.  From memory I think once you have registered an appeal you will be paid the ESA appeal rate.  So the sooner that is done you will at least have some payment although it may not be the same as you had previously.

Have you asked DWP for a copy of the report from the Maximus assessor as this will help you with the MR to point out anything you disagree with.  Also ask for the decision makers report which should identify what evidence they have considered and their reasons for stopping your claim.  It may be worth calling and asking to speak to the DM to clarify that they have actually received all the information you provided and tell them about all the other problems since your claim.  You will be told that you will get a call back in the next 24 hours.

Hope some of that helps and if I am wrong someone with more experience will soon correct me.

X Rosie

• janice_in_wonderland
    janice_in_wonderland Community member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Hi @Lost

After reading your post I'm surprised and confused why your assessor was unable to score you points - did you attend alone? 

I am sorry you are experiencing this 

It's really worrying what some people are going through re benefit entitlements 

How are you doing atm?
    Are you coping? 

JiW 
  • Lost
    Hi @Lost

After reading your post I'm surprised and confused why your assessor was unable to score you points - did you attend alone? 

I am sorry you are experiencing this 

It's really worrying what some people are going through re benefit entitlements 

How are you doing atm?
    Are you coping? 

JiW 
    First of all thank you to both of you for reply. Yes I attended Face to Face alone I always have and I always passed due to so much problem so I did not think I would need to go with anyone. 

Regards to how I am Not that great JiW I can barley move my back is killing me even with medication it still hurts really bad During the day it does get bit easy but never stops I have constant back pain day to day bases. 

I'm just very disappointed that system is trying to screw me like this excuse my language. 

I have been working all my life from age 12 till 2007 when I had accident I really don't need assessor to tell me I'm fit for work as money I'm getting is just helping me to survive if I was fit fot wotk I would of gone out and would of looked for job myself. 

Im guessing they will also stop housing benefit and all this is causing me severe depressing and stress  which I really don't need. 

What job they think I can do. If there is a job out there which involves me sitting on the couch with pillows stuffed around me to support my back and not doing much movements I will gladly do that job just make sure they will be happy some days I can't attend work  at all as I can't even get out of the bed till around lunch time due to severe pains I'm getting. 

It is disgusting how they treat people who are really ill. 

The funny thing is from assessor to DWP worker they can't work because they catch a cold!!! so how they exactly expect some one with severe mobility and disability to work ? 

Thank you both for your reply. I should get my letter today and see what's been said and then do MR.
    Lost
  • janice_in_wonderland
    @Lost

Yes I agree re the injustice of situations 

Do you live alone? 

Have you got any friends/family/support worker to help you at all? Even text or tel help 

It will eventually be resolved but no idea how long it may take 

I hope things are resolved asap 

Too many are affected 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Lost said:
    Hi guys to cut long story short I just had Maximus assessment this Wednesday ESA advisor called me and said I did not score enough points they paid me my w weeks payment in Wednesday and told me I would get letter by end of this week I'm assuming tomorrow I will get this letter. He'd said I can ask for
    MR ( Mandatory Reconsideration ) 

Small background about me. 2007 I fell off 3 story building I smashed my right ankle to peaces and snapped my left ankle in multiple places now I have pins inside and suffer from severe mobility because of it. Then in 2014 I was in severe RTC ( Road Trafic Colision ) where I was hit hard by large Lorry and I was sandwiched between 2 lorrys I had to go to 2 different hospital and I fractured my back in multiple places. On top of this I suffer from Severe Anxity and Depression. I'm taking around 25+ tablets on daily bases 

I have a letter from doctor which mentions all this I sent this off to DWP and was told I need to attend F2F assessment. I did and to my surprise I was told by ESA advisor I did not score enough points. He said I can ask for MR once I get the letter from them and I would get reply with in 10 days. Last year I had my PIP assessment and I passed, year before that I had my ESA and passed that also infact from 2007 till now I always passed my PIP and ESA.

Here are my questions. ( sorry for long post ) 

1. When asking for MR do many people actually win this as if decision maker already failed you dye to lie on the report from Maximus why would they change their mind now. 

2. When asking for MR what should I include in that letter?

3. If I fail MR I was told I can apeal that decision also and I would get my ESA reinstated till appeal is going on I would like to know if this is true first of all and if it is how much me and my wife would get as joint claim ? Shes my carer. 

4. Is it actually worth appealing MR if I fail to tribunal ? Can I just reapply for ESA instead of wasting time reason I say this I have been  getting chest pains nd it's been getting worse as well as black outs at times which is not on original ESA claim nor this was told to DWP or maximus. Or do you think it's better just to apeal to tribunal first and then if I'm not successful the reapply to ESA. Can people actually reapply for ESA if they fail at MR and tribunal ? 

Sorry for long post  it I really could use your help and advice on this please.

Thank you.
    Lost

Only 20% of MR decisions are successful, you have more chance at Tribunal if you appear in person.

Ring DWP and ask them to send you a copy of the assessment report, this will help you write the MR letter. In the letter you need to state what you disagree with and what group you think you should be in and why.

Your ESA money will now stop and you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR. If that fails it Tribunal, once the Tribunal accept your appeal you can then go back onto assessment rate for ESA. Joint money for this is £114 ish per week.

Yes it's 100% worth taking it to Tribunal. If you re-apply you can only do this for a new condition, or a worsening of an existing condition. Also by re-applying if your eventually placed into the WRAG the new rules will apply to you. This means that your joint ESA money will be £114ish per week and will stay at that rate even when placed into the WRAG. Since April 2017 they changed and all new claimants that are placed in the WRAG will not be paid any extra money.

If you fail at MR and Tribunal you can only re-apply for a worsening of an existing condition or for a new condition.

If you now apply for JSA while you wait for the MR decision be careful because if your area is a full Universal Credit area then you won't be able to apply for JSA it will have to be UC. If you apply for UC then you'll never be able to go back onto ESA. You can check what's in your area by popping your post code into this link here. https://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lost
    Hi Poppy 
    I can't apply for JSA as they keep telling me I'm entitled to ESA so looks like I will have to wait for MR and hope they will be dissent human being and see the problems I have and reinstate my ESA. 

IF not I will be asking for full report to appeal with tribunal. 

Hi Janice 
    I have a wife who is my carer and I hsve 3 year old son and 2 year old son. They are the only family I have. 

Once I get letter today I will send it back and cross my fingers they will reinstate my ESA as this us just causing me more stress that I don't need  :/ 
  • janice_in_wonderland
    I'm pleased you have a family @lost - many on their own really do suffer and it is too much for people to cope with 

I feel worse bc I have been struggling alone for far too long - nobody sees ppl when hiding away with invisible symptoms 

I wish you the best of luck getting it sorted it out 
  • Lost
    Ok guys I just received my ESA65 they scored me 0 points on everything which is ridicules. I don't even see point face to face as everything I told her was mot even put there. How can someone move around 200 meters in interview room with severe mobility issues ? How can I pick things up with fractured back in multiple places now can they score me 0 points for sitting for 1 hour where whole interview was about 45 minutes. 

I also included picture of medication I had to pick up yesterday. 

This people who do assessment should be prosecuted and they are lowest if the low for not even writing remotely truth about things that was said. 

How can someone be this disgusting? 

How can she score me 0 points with severe mobility issue and fractured back in multiple places doctor and PIP assessor both said I hzvemobility issues and fractured back 

But Maximus assessor thinks she can lie this much. 

Ok guys can I please get help for template I can use to ask for MR please ?

Thank you.
  • janice_in_wonderland
    @Lost

The majority of people are experiencing the same so none of this surprises me and I'm sure others will agree 

I suggest asking a benefits advisor who will probably have more up to date knowledge and experience or your nearest law centre  

Re 200 meters its probably the distance in/out of the room & venue that's been taken into consideration 

Assessors are known for their misconstrued answers and notes 

If you follow posts you'll realise how others are going through the same stressful journey 

I call it virtual manslaughter particular for those suffering from invisible illnesses 

I hope you get the answers you expect... best of luck 
  • Lost
    @Lost

The majority of people are experiencing the same so none of this surprises me and I'm sure others will agree 

I suggest asking a benefits advisor who will probably have more up to date knowledge and experience or your nearest law centre  

Re 200 meters its probably the distance in/out of the room & venue that's been taken into consideration 

Assessors are known for their misconstrued answers and notes 

If you follow posts you'll realise how others are going through the same stressful journey 

I call it virtual manslaughter particular for those suffering from invisible illnesses 

I hope you get the answers you expect... best of luck 
    Do you have link or ruff guid to Template I should use when asking for MR? Please.
  • Lost
    Does anyone have a link or Template I can use to ask for MR please ? 

Thank you 
  • sleepy1
    Hi @Lost hope you are okay after reading that shocking assessment.  I have been having a hunt for a template as I am sure there will be one somewhere, the main site I found that had one listed is down for the weekend due to maintenance.  And I think the Scope benefit advisers will be harder to get hold of atm than during the week.

During my search I did happen to come across (see link below) which seems to be a guide to how they do the assessing and may be of some help.  If I were you I would call and ask to speak to the DM on Monday to ask what information they have used and as Poppy said be careful before putting in a new claim.

file:///C:/Users/user/Downloads/WCA_outcomes_v0.1.pdf

There has been a recent debate in the house of commons about the way assessments are being carried out and the changes that need to be made, I have posted this on another thread but will dig it out and post the details on here for you to have a look at.

Chin up, hugs Rosie
  • sleepy1
  • Lost
    edited April 2018
    sleepy1 said:
    Link still not working can  you please upload it to Google drive or any free file hosting site please -( 
    .Thank you for your help.
  • sleepy1
    Sorry dont know how to do that but just came across this site ........right hand 4th down
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
  • janice_in_wonderland
    OK but what happens if @lost's MR is accepted? 

This is beginning to become increasingly common since investigations have been made following so many complaints against assessors 

If someone on ESA is put into a support group then what happens after that? 

Will they receive a letter stating how long for or? 
  • Lost
    edited April 2018
    Hi Tomm 
      Venue was on ground floor I made sure of that venue was 30 mins in  total about 15 mi it's to get there and 15 mins to get back I was taken there by my wife. Her report does not make sense in description she does put I have poor mobility but on scoring sheet she scored me 0 on everything she also lied most way trough it and said things which are simply untrue. I'm currently writing out letter for MR and will post that letter for advice from members here to see if I should change anything in my request for MR. My PIP assessment letter which was done last year was never mentioned as well as my doctors letter which clearly states my issues they never mentioned any if the medications I'm taking which is almost impossible for me to even function normally.

Once I finish this letter I will post it on forums for members opinion if I should change anything or if it's good enough for me to send it on Monday signed for. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.