Should I go ESA or Pension ? Is it too late to decide ? What's the difference? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I go ESA or Pension ? Is it too late to decide ? What's the difference?

Bruce
Bruce Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I am 65 in Sept 2018. I have been in psychiatric hospital for 3 months. During that time ESA wrote to me to choose whether to go on pension or stay on ESA. I have since lost the letter, sent inJan Feb this year. Should I go ESA or Pension ? Is it too late to decide ? What's the difference?  Thanks, Bruce 

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Bruce, @Bruce and welcome to the community. Good to have you aboard.
    I'm not qualified to answer your specific question but we do have people here who are and they will be in touch with you as soon as possible. The weekend may slow things down a tad, but usually they are remarkably quick. Bear with us, and someone will get back to you.
    In the meantime, and for their information, could you perhaps tell us a little more about yourself and your condition? It might just help the advisors a little.
    Glad to meet you,
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Bruce and welcome

You should get trained advice from AGE UK , CAB or similar

When you are approaching pension age you have the option of defering your state pension if you are working. You may also be able to do so if your ESA is CB.
    If you do nothing your state pension will be defered automatically if eligable

This is the best info I can find but please get trained advice

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Lynne53
    Lynne53 Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
    I'm only speaking personally, not an expert, but I became of pension age on 6th March and I was told that I had to come off ESA as it relates to Employment and I would technically retired. The good news though is that I also get Pension Credit. It was very difficult to find help from DWP but Scope gave me loads of information and I am now sorted. Get well soon Bruce and don't worry you will get the advice you need here.
  • Bruce
    Thanks.Lynne. B
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    You could call Age UK on 0800 055 6112, they can give free, independent advice every day 8am - 7pm
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • CockneyRebel
    Here is gov link to defering state pension

www.gov.uk/deferring-state-pension

CR

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Lynne,
    CR's link doesn't seem to have 'taken'. It should be here
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • CockneyRebel
    Thanks Richard probably rushed it

CR
  • Bruce
    Many thanks CR and Jenny's Dad. B

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.