PIP ASSESSMENT — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP ASSESSMENT

Tigermoth42
Tigermoth42 Community member Posts: 243 Pioneering
edited April 2018 in Research and opportunities
Hi all, just thought I’d pass on a snippet that I picked up yesterday which might set some people’s minds to rest, albeit a little. A close friend of mine works nights in the mental health sector and, last Thursday, he had a bank (temp) nurse working with him. During the course of the evening they were chatting, like you do, and she told him her day job was as an assessor for the DWP. Chatting further she revealed that they have targets to meet when assessing claimants and that they have to fail people in order to achieve this. My friend asked her whether she felt bad deliberately failing people and she dismissively said “they can appeal”. My friend said she had no sympathy with those people she was assessing, I guess we’re just faceless entities to them, numbers on a bit of paper. I’m totally disgusted to hear this but it serves to confirm what I read in a report and I, for one, think the DWP need to take a look now at how these assessments are being carried out. 

Comments

• anixous2017
    anixous2017 Community member Posts: 56 Courageous
    She broke the official secrets act, I would ring demanding you speak to a manager. It was in the papers they had targets to reach , because if my paperwork had been read it never of gone to appeal.
  • sparkle110655
    sparkle110655 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    That is disgusting, I myself used to work for Family Credit and your right she shouldn't be talking about working for the DWP she has broken the official secrets act, She could be sacked for that !! As a civil servant she should know better. Walls Have Ears.
  • GizmoTiddles
    GizmoTiddles Community member Posts: 159 Pioneering
    Whilst I know breaking the OSA is like walking a very thin tight rope but if there were no "Whistle blowing" how would we the "Victims" of the dwp find out such things fair play for the temp to stick her neck up above the parapet even if it was a comment in conversations ,comdem her/he for doing such a job with that sort of attitude ,yes but for the snippet slipped in passing @Tigermoth42
    Pat her on the back and say ta very much for the heads up maybe next time on assessment the temp would think twice before transcribing into a report.
    Gizmo
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Tigermoth42 Pleased to say to you congratulations on PIP decision. Problem is what do you do now.

I understand the situation  and would consider all options. Speak to some one like Welfare rights maybe.

I would agree with you my friend that it is a catch 22 situation. End of the day what is important is getting you some support and the welfare you need.  To deal with this.

What ever that support could be.

Never understand this PIP . I am going through the issues myself.  Have to attack the first hurdle the huge application form.

Already consider failure because of the questions and the right answers . So daunting so complex.  Even saying to myself all the what if's. This can not be right . Trying to get the help I need and already getting my head in a spin.

Especially this morning debacle and farce trying to contact organisations for some guidance and support. Looks like a early riser on Tuesday. Outside CAB wait till they open.

Understand every body's issues and problems with this. You want help and support.  From a Government who do not and wish not to give there support to the community who needs it most.

In an ideal world the help and support to be given and given willingly. With out any prejudice.  Unfortunately is not going to ever happen is it.

Hope you take care

Wish you the best what ever you decide. I am with you all the way.

Your friend

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Tigermoth42
    Hi my lovely friend @thespiceman and thank you for your support and friendship, it means so much to me. You’re definitely one of life’s good eggs  :)

I think I will appeal the decision, been on the motability scheme since 2013 and, if anything, my social anxiety and panic attacks plus walking have got worse. Had another fall yesterday, that scares me when I’m out too, I don’t want to break any more bones.

If I can help you in any way with the form filling please don’t hesitate to ask, I’m always round and about. I agree wholeheartedly with you, we just don’t get the support from state that we need. I know what you mean when you talk about your head being in a spin, we go over and over it, pros and cons, until we more muddled than ever. 

Bit of a rhetorical question here but why is it that the most vulnerable people in society are being made to jump through hoops just to get a bit of extra help? 

Sending you hugs and hoping you can enjoy the weekend in spite of your trials and tribulations. 

Your friend @Tigermoth42

• thespiceman
    Hello @Tigermoth42 Thanks very much for reply. I am in the process of the form doing drafts and putting information that is relevant to my disability and illness.

Will go down Tuesday and speak to CAB about some help and consultation.

Thank you very much for kind words and support.

Always appeal no matter what.   Best wishes.

Take care

Your friend

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Tigermoth42
    Hi @thespiceman, wishing you every good luck in your appeal.

I’m going to download the form today for mine. Got my paperwork together but wondering if I’d be better asking CAB or someone to help act for me. 

Do keep me me posted as to how you get on at the CAB on Tuesday, I’d be very interested to hear firsthand how they can help. 

Hope you have as good a day as you can. 

Your friend @Tigermoth42 x
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    @anixous2017 Me too. They clearly didn't read my paperwork either.
  • Tigermoth42
    Hi @thespiceman, just wondering how you’re getting on with your paperwork? Did you have any luck at the CAB?

Hope things are going ok for you. 

Your friend @Tigermoth42
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Tigermoth42 Great to hear from you. Please can I say thank you for reminding me about CAB.

I have just checked and have sent you a message in your In Box. I forget that I had sent you a message.  Sorry not good some days.

Minds all over the place.  Have a read and let me know what you think. Hope you are OK.

Always in thoughts and prayers

Your friend

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    There is always a nugget of truth in every tall tale.

Personally I doubt very much that an assessor is given a certain number of claims to fail.

What I am aware of is that if an assessor was to have a higher than average number of good, comprehensive and positive reports that would give rise to an award they would be 'targeted' by their supervisor. The supervisor would question if the assessor was doing their job properly. The reports would be audited to ensure that the assessor was not being too lenient in their work. 
  • littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    Hi @Tigermoth42.do you mind me asking were do you have face 2 face home or centre x
  • Tigermoth42
    Hi @littleruthie123, my first dla was at a centre, first pip was at home and recent pip at a centre so I’ve had both. Have you got one upcoming? 
  • Tigermoth42
    Hi @Yadnad, I honestly don’t believe it was a tall tale, the woman who said it worked with a good friend of mine, a mental health nurse, who has no reason to embellish the truth. I suppose the original teller, an Atos assessor as well as a mental health nurse, could be being economical with the truth but, again, to what purpose?  
  • littleruthie123
    Hi @Tigermoth42 gosh it's nerve wracking isent it .is had first one at home assessed was great no problems and was honest .second one had too go there ,is really struggled and was a wreck on my own .report wasent good .I wish I had appealed .now on my third review trying too get home visit with help .but looks like I will have too go in again. Determined too stick too my guns thus time .so I guess it will be a long rude.how did yours go?x
  • Tigermoth42
    Hi @littleruthie123, you’re so right, nerve wracking isn’t in it! My first pip assessment at home was brilliant. The assessor was lovely, so kind and understanding, let my husband speak as well, I was awarded enhanced on both. The Feb assessment was another matter altogether, the assessor was aggressive and quite rude, my husband came with me but she ignored everything he said, her report wasn’t a true reflection at all, she actually lied about the musculoskeletal exam and missed out important bits. At MR I’ve been reinstated on enhanced living but only standard mobility so my car goes back tomorrow. I’ve managed to borrow a bit of money from a friend of my husband & have bought a second hand car but I don’t get it until Thursday. We’ve sent off the appeal so I guess it’s a waiting game. Just makes me feel sick and extra anxious with the worry if it all on top of my existing conditions. If I can help you in any way at all, please don’t hesitate to ask my lovely xxx
  • littleruthie123
    Thank you .that's very kind .it's interesting we both had similar scenarios. I'm so glad there changed at least one for you for now .and good on you take it all the way .only we now how are lives are effected .good luck x
  • aaronw3440
    aaronw3440 Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Yadnad said:

Personally I doubt very much that an assessor is given a certain number of claims to fail.

What I am aware of is that if an assessor was to have a higher than average number of good, comprehensive and positive reports that would give rise to an award they would be 'targeted' by their supervisor. The supervisor would question if the assessor was doing their job properly. The reports would be audited to ensure that the assessor was not being too lenient in their work. 
    Yadnad said:

Claims get audited anyway with or without the right reports which is why it takes so long to receive a decision they are given targets to fail people https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/dwp-benefit-appeals-target-reject-80-per-cent-outrageous-pip-jobseekers-allowance-department-work-a7740101.html

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.