falling over — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

falling over

bobives789
bobives789 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
I have impaired mobility, and constant pain in my lower body. recently I have started to stumble or fall over indoors, no damage so far!!!!!!!!!!! any advice welcome I am 70 years old

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @bobives789 Please I would suggest go to your GP.  Just a check up.  Would you not. ?  I would as I have always been aware.  If I get similar symptoms.  Fall over.  Just being sensible.  Always worth a visit.

Understand concerned just go have a check up.

Might be worth it.  Do you use a stick?  No on likes to admit having problems as we age.

I do know if I had similar issues to you.

Consult the doctors.

Just a friend being caring

Watch how you go
    Take care
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • bobives789
    bobives789 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    thanks, I intend to see the doctor, I currently walk with sticks or frame. unfortunately I have lost one eye which does not help the situation
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @bobives789 That is excellent news that is a worry off my mind.  I am one of these people on the forum.  Has care and concern for our community members.

Sorry about your situation.

Also us gentleman of a certain age.  Have to look after each other.

Please let know how you get on.  Not interfering just caring.

Take care
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering

Hi @bobives789

Sorry to hear about your falls. Please do get checked out by the GP to see if there is an underlying health issue that needs to be addressed. In addition the GP may feel it appropriate to refer you to an Occupational Therapist (OT) and/or the local Falls Prevention Team

In the meantime this NHS information about falls may be of interest: 

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/falls/prevention/

Also there is a very good 17 page booklet on the topic of falls that you can download from:

http://www.csp.org.uk/publications/get-go-guide-staying-steady  (go to bottom of page and select get_up_go pdf )

Hope this helps

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• Carolecatwoman
    Carolecatwoman Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    I've had several falls since having encephalitis. I am now receiving treatment for positional vertigo after having a full assessment by the falls team.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.