Esa descriptors — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa descriptors

lyndylou63
lyndylou63 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
hi everyone 

I have been on the website looking at the esa descriptors. It states that if you meet one of the following descriptors you will qualify for the support group.

Activity 1. Mobilising unaided by another person with or without a walking stick, manual wheelchair or other aid if such aid is normally or could reasonably be worn or used.

Cannot either: 
(a) mobilise more than 50 metres on level ground without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion; or 
(b) repeatedly mobilise 50 metres within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion.  

I cannot walk even 50 metres without the help of another person. I need a wheelchair outdoors so someone has to be with me to push me.

Therefore would I qualify?

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi lyndylou

You would need to explain why you cannot use a manual wheel chair to propel yourself 50m

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • lyndylou63
    I haven't got a manual wheelchair as I haven't enough strength in my arms to use one.
  • CockneyRebel
    You don't need to own a wheel chair, but you will have to explain why you don't have the strength in your arms to use one.

What is it that means you don't have the strength ?
    How far could you propel your self ?
    What happens then ?
    Do you get out of breath/exhausted ?

You will need to back this up with medical evidence

CR
  • lyndylou63
    I have just received a text message from DWP saying they have received my esa claim.they will write to me with a decision within 2 weeks or they will get in touch for more information. 
    Is this standard procedure? When do I start receiving any money?
  • CockneyRebel
    This is standard,
  • lyndylou63
    I have only sent in the esa 1 form and ssp1 forms as yet. I haven't started receiving any assessment money or received an esa 50 form yet

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.