Ataxia - technique for balancing? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ataxia - technique for balancing?

smr
smr Community member Posts: 8 Listener
My son is an ataxia patient. He is more than 9 years old. I would like to know regarding the technique which is helpful for his balancing.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @smr

I found this information on the MS website, does your son see a physiotherapist?

Ataxia is usually treated with a combination of rehabilitation and compensatory strategies.

Rehabilitation

An exercise programme to strengthen the core muscles may help.  This is because many people with ataxia have poor balance and will spend much of their day sitting down.  This can lead to weakness of the muscles, especially the core muscles, which can make the problem worse. A physiotherapist may be involved to identify exercises that help you to build up core stability and strength in your muscles. 

Compensatory strategies

This involves trying to find ways to make specific tasks and situations easier to manage.  For example, if ataxia is affecting your arms, using weighted cuffs can sometimes dampen down the effects.  Tight fitting lycra clothing can also help some people manage their ataxia.  If your balance is affected, walking aids may help.  A physiotherapist with expertise in MS can advise you on these approaches.

I also found this youtube video showing someone doing exercises to improve balance with ataxia, but I think it is always wise to get proper medical advice before starting any sort of exercise program if you have an impairment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WemREks27nY

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • smr
    edited April 2018
    Thanks sam. My son under the observation & supervision of physio therapist more than 8 years & he is also associated  with a rehabilitation institute for such type of children. I would like to know that the use of ESM( Electro stimulation Machine) is beneficial for his muscles improvement & how can I use this machine.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Has your physio given any advice about the ESM?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • smr
    What is your advice about use of ESM?

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @smr, unfortunately we are not best placed to advise on this as we are not medical professionals. There may be other community members who can share their experiences with you, but it would be best to speak to a GP or medical professional involved in your son's care as they will be best placed to help. Is this something you can do?

Please do keep us updated and let us know how you get on!
  • smiler43
    smiler43 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    hi smr 
    I had a brain tumour medulloblastoma two years ago i am a 43 yrs old female who has balance problems I will look into these exercises.  Sorry about your son. I used to have psycho ecercises which are meant to help balance and strength . I would definitely look into that for your son x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.