Getting turned down for work with a chronic back problem — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Getting turned down for work with a chronic back problem

Rayofhope
Rayofhope Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited April 2018 in Work and employment
I've a chronic back problem and I have been trying to get an office job so that I can still feel like I have a life. I re-trained in IT, Maths and customer service but because I have no experience, I keep getting turned down for work. 
Anyone else in this boat? 

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Rayofhope and a warm - if rather belated - welcome to the community. We are glad to have you, but seem to have been short of bodies to answer posts today. Really very sorry about that, and that you've been kept waiting.
    Heartfelt congratulations on your retraining - it cannot have been easy.
    There may well be others here in a similar situation to yourself but it might take a little while for your post to filter through to them, so please bear with us. In the meantime you might like to have a look at our 'Ask an Employment Advisor' thread. Have a look at the conversations and please, if you feel you can, join in.
    Must get this sent to you, so I will sign off, but please, please, please do not hesitate to be in touch to ask us any questions or to tell us anything more about yourself.
    Here and listening,
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
    PS You might also find some friends in the 'Dealing with chronic pain' thread. :)
  • Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Hi @Rayofhope

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble finding work, I know it can be really stressful and disheartening. Would you be able to volunteer to get some experience?

Hopefully, our employment advisors will get back to you soon.
  • Zaid_Alumni
    Zaid_Alumni Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Hi @Rayofhope
    If you have been away from the job market for a little while, it can be useful to start with some volunteering as @Lasian_Scope says.

If you are already job searching independently, we might be able to help you improve your job hunt with Scope's Support to Work, info here: 

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/services/employment/support-work

What kind of office jobs are you applying for?

Zaid
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.