If I change my bank account will I be forced onto Universal Credit? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If I change my bank account will I be forced onto Universal Credit?

Options
devlinwench
devlinwench Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited April 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
I have just split with boyfriend of 7 1/2 years. I want to change my bank account on my benefits would I be forced to on to the new universal credit. I'm on ESA. 

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @devlinwench and a warm welcome to the community. Glad you have found us.
    Unfortunately, your question is outside my range of knowledge, but there are plenty of others here who will probably be able to advise. Bear with us, if you can, and they will get back to you in due course.
    In the meanwhile, if there is anything more you'd like to ask or to tell us, please don't hesitate.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @devlinwench
    Here is the information on the gov website about the changes you need to inform the DWP about:

Report a change of circumstances

You need to report changes to your circumstances so you keep getting the right amount of Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).

Your claim might be stopped or reduced if you don’t report a change straight away.

A change of circumstance can include:

• starting or stopping work, education, training or an apprenticeship
    • moving house
    • changing your name
    • people moving into or out of the place you live (for example your partner or a child)
    • changes to the benefits you or anyone else in your house gets
    • changes to your pension, savings, investments or property
    • changes to other money you get (for example student loans or grants, sick pay or money you get from a charity)
    • changing your doctor
    • any changes to your medical condition or disability
    • going into hospital or a care home or sheltered accommodation
    • going abroad for any length of time

Call the ESA helpline if you’re not sure whether you need to report a change.

You may be prosecuted or have to pay a £50 penalty if you give wrong or incomplete information, or don’t report changes straight away.

How to report

You can report a change of circumstances by:

• calling the ESA helpline
    • writing to the Jobcentre Plus office that pays your ESA - the address is on the letters you get about your ESA

ESA helpline
    Telephone: 0800 169 0310
    Textphone: 0800 169 0314
    Welsh language: 0800 328 1744
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
    Find out about call charges

I don't know enough to advise if this would affect what benefits you would claim, @geoark or @CockneyRebel can you help?

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Changing your doctor slightly puzzles me. The rest wouldn't. 

Wouldn't it depend if you were live or full service and the UC rules?

This is UC rules. 

Your claim might be stopped or reduced if you don’t report a change of circumstances straight away.

Changes can include:

• finding or finishing a job
    • having a child
    • moving in with your partner
    • starting to care for a child
    • moving to a new address
    • changing your bank details
    • your rent going up or down
    • changes to your health condition
    • becoming too ill to work or meet your work coach
    • changes to your earnings (only if you’re self-employed)

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @devlinwench and welcome to the community.

I honestly don't know the answer and could not find a definitive answer searching. One obvious reason for reporting the change in  your bank account is to ensure your money goes into the correct account.

Depending on the circumstances before you split up with your boyfriend - ie if you were living together - could result in your moving to UC.

@CockneyRebel might know more, also @Username_removed is very knowledgeable and well respected for his advice.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.