If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Is a Electro stimulation Machine beneficial for muscles improvement & how can I use this machine?

SystemSystem Posts: 345 Scope community team

Replies

• smrsmr Posts: 8Member Listener
    My more than 9 years son is an ataxia patient he is under the observation & supervision of physio therapist more than 8 years & he is also associated  with a rehabilitation institute for such type of children. I would like to know that the use of ESM( Electro stimulation Machine) is beneficial for his muscles improvement & how can I use this machine.

• simonsablesimonsable Posts: 76Member Connected
    Thanks for your enquiry. I am afraid I don't know about those machines. I am wondering if your son's doctor or consultant good? It might be worth talking to them. I am sorry I am unable to help you more

• feirfeir Posts: 354Member Pioneering
    There are different types of machine. What they do is stimulate the muscles to contract and this can build muscle, i'm not sure if it helps with anything else but you do need good nerve function to use them.

I agree you should ask your consultants opinion because not everyone should use them.
  • smrsmr Posts: 8Member Listener
    Ok one of peads physician ask me to use TENS or ESM which may help to strengthen his muscels. But I will discuss his physiotherapy consultant
  • feirfeir Posts: 354Member Pioneering
    Oh i thought you were asking if it would help, sorry.

if it's been recommended what did they say to use it for?
  • geegee1104geegee1104 Posts: 11Member Listener
    Hi there this is something I have researched in connection with my CMT which is commonly called charcot Marie tooth and answer to that question is no there is no used using a muscle stimulator machine as in charcot-marie-tooth the nerve is actually dying and the signal is being delayed to the bring it's a horrible frustrating chronic disease and I have it as well as fibromyalgia so the symptoms are very overlapping in both chronic conditions I hope this helps I did ask this question when I went down to the big ICU hospital time in London so you can be assured that your question has been answered correctly I spent 3 days there under observation and having tests kind regards
    Kim
Sign in or join us to comment.