Hi, my name is dogmad! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is dogmad!

Options
dogmad
dogmad Community member Posts: 9 Listener
I'm 70 years of age and a retired psychologist and dog trainer . Dogs are much more fun than humans, I feel :-)

Comments

• peterpete
    peterpete Community member Posts: 37 Courageous
    Options
    His welcome dog man
  • dogmad
    Options
    I'm now housebound with osteoarthritis (diagnosed about 30 years ago) and now have osteoporosis to go with it (I've lost about 6 inches in height ! ), as well as type 2 diabetes, skin cancer and Parkinsons Disease. I have a few other challenges, but my biggest challenge is depression, especially now that I can no longer live with a dog (or any other companion animal), having been with dogs, in various scenarios, for over half a century.  :)
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @dogmad and a warm welcome to the community. Glad to have you with us.
    You have my genuine sympathy where dogs are concerned. I have always wanted one but never had the money or the space to provide properly for one. We have a visitor where I live who brings in a couple of working dogs - drug detecting, I seem to recall - and I love to spend a little time with them.
    And even if I can't have a dog of my own, there are people enough who tell me I am barking.
    Perhaps you could have a look at our categories/threads and see if there are any conversations or resources that might be of interest to you?
    Do keep in touch - it is great to hear from you.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard

• dogmad
    Options
    Thanks a lot Richard :-) Will do :smile:

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @dogmad, welcome to the community!
  • dogmad
    Options
    Thanks @Pippa - still learning my way around the site ! ;-)
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @dogmad
    I have two lovely dogs, one is a jack russell/border collie cross and one is a long haired chihuahua.  The chihuahua definitely rules the roost!!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • dogmad
    Options
    I can quite believe that @Sam_Scope :-D  Have you seen "Beverley Hills Chihuahua" ? If you haven't, I can strongly recommend a viewing )or 3) ! :-D

• mia63101
    mia63101 Community member Posts: 18 Courageous
    Options
    Hi, I also have just joined. Like you, my dogs are everything. My main and reliable companions.
    kind regards.
  • mia63101
    mia63101 Community member Posts: 18 Courageous
    Options
    Hi dogmad, you must hate being without dogs I. Your life, especially as you were also a dog  trainer must be empty, I fully get it. Depression is hard to fight off when your days seem so empty. Is it because of your illness or have you had to move to a “no pets” place? 
    Try to keep smiling.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.