Forced onto PIP, getting half on mobility — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Forced onto PIP, getting half on mobility

mendipmark
mendipmark Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
edited May 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Im new. I have multiple renal, liver, spleen and bone issues (entire skeleton). Ive previously won at tribunal for dla/esa and been forced onto pip so they cut my mobility in half yet im in pain with every step. I am well qualified and suffer prejudice as a result. Allowances dont compensate me for my disability costs in any way and my uni friends are all earning up to £0.5m per year. Paltry allowances and treatment like a criminal is hard to take.

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Mark, @mendipmark, and a warm welcome to the community. Glad to have you with us.
    I just wanted to say hello and acknowledge your post, as I'm not one of those qualified to comment. We do, however, have good, experienced advisors here, and they will get back to you in due course.
    Best to you,
    Richard
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mendipmark
    As @Username_removed asks, have you decided to appeal this decision?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    mendipmark,

It sounds as if you used to get the higher mobility component of DLA, and now that you're on PIP, you're only getting the standard mobility component? 

If so, then as Mike says, one option is to ask for a mandatory reconsideration (preferably within a month of the decision, but you can ask for it later).

Explain why you think the decision is wrong. You don't have to go into lots of detail but it is important to show why you think you should have got at least 12 points in the mobility activities. The PIP self-test can help with this, if you haven't already done it.

I agree that being treated as if people don't believe you is very hard. You could consider going to your MP about this, as we really need the PIP assessment to change, & better decisions to be made. You may need to go to a tribunal again - if so, at least you'll know something about what to expect, although remember that PIP is points based unlike DLA.

There's also the general point that benefits for disabled people aren't enough to live on, even when you actually get the benefits you are entitled to - again, worth contacting your MP about this. And/or it may be worth talking to a local disability advice service, if you have one, to make sure you are claiming all the extras you are entitled to.

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.