If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

When you have time for hobbies, what do you do?

fishingmumfishingmum Posts: 562Member Pioneering
edited April 2018 in Coffee lounge
I find a good way of coping in my situation is finding time for hobbies and interests I can do that I enjoy, it relieves stress, gives me a time out and much needed breath.

My youngest is autistic and can not cope around people at all. I find my hobby of fishing very helpful as he can join in, it is quiet and relaxing and gets us out of the house. However when I do get time for my own hobbies and interests that I get time out with, mostly I enjoy arts and crafts. I knit, I make candles and soaps, I make candle holders and recently started making garden planters. Most recent was a canon shaped strawberry planter. Which I have pointed to a neighbours house that happens to be rude and often shows signs of idiocy and foot in mouth action.

What do you guys do to relieve stress and tension, and little things that can give you a smile on a daily basis. I am just away to look at my canon planter :)
life is too short to let others make you miserable.

Replies

• Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Posts: 7,477Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @fishingmum

I enjoy crochet, reading, cinema and gardening, I think it's so important to make time for hobbies.

We have a group where members can share their art and craft work if you are interested? It's the Kaleidoscope post here. We'd love to see some of your work!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • fishingmumfishingmum Posts: 562Member Pioneering
    excellent as a new person here I am just finding my way about.I will have a look on there, its great the ideas you get from others. I grow my own veg but that is more of a need than a hobby lol. thsnks for that @Sam_Scope
    I have an allotment and so love growing veg!!
    Scope
    mine is all in my garden, so its is in tubs and planters as the ground is not great but I have learned to grow up the way in some things like potatoes and boxes for carrots parsnips spinach etc but we are really lucky as we get free fish and free eggs as well, every bit helps :)
  • flynn18flynn18 Posts: 12Member Listener
    I love to crochet but just a beginner love cinema visiting gardens love flowers really cheer me up xx
    my nearest cinema is 4 and 1/2 hours away and a ferry journey so it never happens for us, but recently got some crochet hooks and watching youtube videos as I fancied trying something new
    @thespiceman has been sharing his adventures into planting herbs and veg in his garden, you might like to have a read.

Where do you live? 4 1/2 hours from a cinema??!  :open_mouth: It sounds pretty remote!!
    Scope
    west coast of Scotland and yes we are remote but our nearest town no longer has a cinema. I plant my own herbs as well and me and the family go out and collect wild herbs and fruits, we are pretty country lol
  • debbiedo49debbiedo49 Posts: 2,805Member Disability Gamechanger
    Writing

I am a fibrowarrior!
    @debbiedo49 do you put anything on sites for writing such as poetry sites? or short story sites?
    west coast of Scotland and yes we are remote but our nearest town no longer has a cinema. I plant my own herbs as well and me and the family go out and collect wild herbs and fruits, we are pretty country lol
    Sounds amazing!! 
    Scope
    I’m Scottish too!

I am a fibrowarrior!
    edited April 2018
    Mothers day Zombie, other folks get chocolates and flowers and I get my own zombie lol.
    @fishingmum yes I have articles poems on Scottish recovery network and other sites just a few. Volunteer on a newsletter which started me off writing again. Just when inspiration takes me. 

I am a fibrowarrior!
    this picture was taken at my back door on mothers day, the kids made me a zombie so I could use it for bow and arrow training lol it is a nice view I have and it is quiet here.
    @debbiedo49 that is fantastic I used to write about essential oils for a local newspaper and cancer research magazines but it has been years since I have done that, too much to do and not much time anymore for it. You keep writing it sounds great what you are doing.
    Thanks

I am a fibrowarrior!
  • thespicemanthespiceman Posts: 4,533Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @fishingmum Pleased to meet you Sam mentioned me basically like your good self make my own food usually with herbs and spices.

The is why call me @thespiceman My pleasure is adapting and creating recipes using what I have.  Always have loads of ideas for recipes. Cheap eats.

So time for hobbies think is a good question. Especially things like herbs because they are low maintenance. If you forget to water then it does not matter for a few days.  As long you have the time to do that.  Be out in the garden and water one or two days or in the fresh air helps.

Where you live sounds remote.  Understand have to be creative and use what you have to recycle or make things with.

Would your son be interested in growing herbs. Being disabled myself and have  mental health issues.

Just a suggestion. Lot of it is simple planting and watering. Taking care. Focused on trying to look after plants. Once I have got an interest. Helps me.

For relaxation is the garden or my music. Northern Soul and Motown. Also this forum as support and helps be not to be lonely.

Great picture looks idyllic now but when Winter comes. Understand that part of the Scotland remote. Have to be self sufficient.

Take care great to meet you

Anytime for a chat if you wish to.

The Spiceman
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,757 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @thespiceman we do grow herbs and spices anyway, as well as veg and my youngest helps out, he enjoys pulling the plants up when ready and my older 2 every morning tend to steal chives and lettuce leves when they are walking down the path heading to school :)

When winter hits here we can have power cuts for days no access as roads are blocked, it can look very depressing out the windows some days, but amazingly fish like to eat then so still find food.

@Victoriad bee keeping omg, I would love to try that, is it difficult? we have miner bees in our garden so we keep stuff around the area so no one goes near it and they get left in peace. Do you get honey from them and wax?
    Hello @fishingmum Great glad to hear that. Thanks for reply.

I was cut off in my village thank you to my friends on the forum. They helped me get through it all.

Had food but run of meds so had to get a friend call to collect.

Had no way of getting out. Car covered and driveway.  @Victoriad one of my friends here helped with loads of positivity and friendship.
    its great you had support it can be quite daunting when you can not get out. If winter does get that bad could it be possible to get your doctor to maybe give you an extra couple of weeks in winter in case the situation happens again, our doctor does that here for us.
    Hello @fishingmum Thanks gone and done that this time.  Have my friend on the forum who I speak to every morning helps me.

Us gentlemen may I say might rule the world but it is you ladies who pull the strings. Have guidance and information from certain ladies on this forum. They know who they are.. Us gents do need help from you ladies.

Have two packs of meds most months now. Great for advice very grateful.

Lovely to meet you . Understand am old fashioned gent.

So you know just being kind and considerate.

Have dry sense of humour see my posts.

Have a shaft of wit, mean wit.

See the word game.

Speak anytime
    Not a problem, I am not easily offended or upset. I have a wicked sense of humour, actually I find the humour in most things its just my personality type. happily playing the word game lol.
    that is fantastic, I am glad you found something to help when you came out of hospital, sad you can not be hands on anymore.
    The local school teacher here keeps bees, might go and have a word, besides the fact I use honey I also use bees wax for candles, it is expensive so not often do I buy it. I never even thought it would be possible for a garden thanks for the info.
    that is brilliant, the school teacher I can ask I can probably get hold of him this weekend, but I know our nearest is about an hours drive away, but there is an estate who owns land here and they might be willing to donate a little for the purpose of bee keeping, so I need to hatch a little plan, make sure I word everything all correctly and I might have got this one cracked. I probably go through that much honey in a year so I would keep it, and the wax well I would set it and use for candles as I sell them at the craft fairs.

I have never heard of any classes about here, but I am sure they would work something out to give me an idea of what it is about. I live rural rural as in my whole area there are 200 people and I know them. the next village has about 400 and if I dont know them by face can bet I know a relative lol
    Ardnamurchan
    there are a lot around so I think they would do well might have to build some kind of wall as shelter for winter time for he hives though winter here is brutal.
    Ardnamurchan Scottish Black Bee Project that is actually 2 hours drive from me lol it is a big area but it is also single track roads lol, I know a few folk who live down that way so can get in touch see what is on offer for finding out more thanks
    Mothers day Zombie, other folks get chocolates and flowers and I get my own zombie lol.
    I LOVE this!!!!
    Scope
    @Sam_Scopewith a couple of branches, box ,a couple of bottles of dyed custard, some old clothes, pen, a screwdriver and a few screws you can have one just like it lol
    Talking about bees, what’s best way to get them back outside when they get in by mistake ? Big furry bees near me at the moment

I am a fibrowarrior!
    Hello @debbiedo49 Open a window and let them out gently. They will fly out..

Do not go too near might get angry. I am always having this. So open a window and they should fly out.

Very careful to open windows just a crack. So bees and bugs can not get in.
    Have tried that but it takes forever lol

I am a fibrowarrior!
    Hello there is another answer for the spiceman to put on his supersuit and fly off into the yonder.

All you have to do is call. Being a super hero to save you from being harmed.lol

Or if not that desperate plenty of patience and tolerance.

Sorry my super senses can here another lady in distress off I go 
    Sorry even super hero's cannot spell. To do with my mind on other struggles

Meant to say hear .  Off I go again.
    Lol

I am a fibrowarrior!
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,862Member - under moderation Disability Gamechanger
    I try to keep busy. I can't change my health problems but I can change how I live with them.
    From a hobby point of view I recently decided at 70 to try and re-live my youth to some extent. I realised that there are many retired people like me and after a bit of searching in and around the town I have found three other guys just like me who want to get involved in getting a band up and running. When I look at our total ages they add up to the grand figure of 289yrs!!!

It started as a dare in our local community centre that there was no way I would do it.

So here we are a bunch of geriatric semi pro rockers going to give them what for every Saturday night.

Mind you the set has had to be modified somewhat, no longer are there any ACDC, Zepplin, Sabbath numbers just good old 60', 70's and whole bunch of other music to dance to. As the drummer I have a good supply of WD40 in a box on stage! 
    @Yadnad that is brilliant, hope it is amazing for you and you enjoy spending time with friends reliving your youth.
Sign in or join us to comment.