Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

carers allowance taken from universal credit.

Gary292Gary292 Member Posts: 9 Listener
edited April 2018 in Carer's allowance
What's the point in claiming carer's allowance if the dwp stop it from your entitlements.my wife is my carer which she gets £64.30 p/ week for.this is paid for doing OVER 35 hours per week as a carer,£271.00 is then taken off our universal credit.i think this is disgraceful but don't know what can be done.

Replies

• Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Member Posts: 7,732 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Gary292

Im not a benefits advisor but I looked on the turn 2 us website and found this

Carers Element

You can get this addition of £156.45 per month if you are caring for a severely disabled person for at least 35 hours a week. You do not have to claim Carer's Allowance to get this element. Unlike Carers Allowance, a person can still receive the Carers Element of Universal Credit, no matter how much they earn.

I will forward your post onto the @BenefitsTrainingCo and hopefully they can advise a little more.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Gary292Gary292 Member Posts: 9 Listener
    It's not just my wife's carer's allowance that's affected she works 15 hrs per week and gets paid £450 per month,they allow her to earn £192 per month and then every £1 over that they take £00-63 in the £ off our entitlement so from her £450 they take £162-54 from our allowance as well as the £271 carer's allowance = £433.54 per month that they remove from our allowance.its definitely not fair and we don't know what to do.we would appreciate any help and I personally would appreciate a phone call to discuss this issue.ive called a few times but keep getting told to call back.
  • jaycee6jaycee6 Member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Hi Gary I know exactly how you feel.All the years I was on carers allowance for my daughter and we claimed family credit(now uc ) My carers allowance was classed as income so like you say it is basically took of you,Also when I claim my pension in a few years if my pension is more than £64.60,,Then I cant claim carers allowance.. It doesn't make sense ill still be her carer,It  doesn't stop when you become a pensioner,,,Oh well life goes on as they say...
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 18,542 Disability Gamechanger
    Even though the Carers Allowance is taken from the Universal Credit, Carers Allowance should then pay that exact same amount, which means you're not any worse off.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi Gary292,

Although Carer's Allowance is taken fully into account for Universal Credit claims your maximum entitlement does include a carer's element of £156.45 which you wouldn't get if there were no caring responsibilities so it is not a pound for pound reduction. 
    Under the old system someone would get £62.70 CA and then their IS would be reduced to leave them £34.95 better off overall and the same principle applies here. 

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • SkyMary7SkyMary7 Member Posts: 59 Connected
    hi we are in same position 641 has been deducted from my allowance. check everything is correct. As my rent was down as 120 a month instead of a week. So its being recalculated. x
  • paula4upaula4u Member Posts: 2 Listener
    I shall be entitled to state pension from 6/7/18  and that means my carers allowance will stop..  so  back to square one,  I am looking after my husband apart from his love (Alzheimers  when he remembers it  or me)  and his income   I am simply not paid  apart from in-kind...  joining the army of unpaid workers  .  It's like being a mam   all over again... and no I didnot expect to be in this position aged 65  basically  I looked after my children at home,  I worked a few years  ,  remarried  twice and now looking at my pension , if i hadnot topped it up  I would have been worse of then receiving carers allowance.  As state pension is now considered a  benefit ,  overlapping benefits is not allowed..  

I guess I am a  Mam, again, good job I love that man to bits. 
  • sqeek4u2sqeek4u2 Member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited November 2018
    hi group im a full time carer for my dad 64.60 a week
    156.45 care eliment and 317 universal credit =474.27
    deducted 279.93 carers allowence

= take home 194.34

so when you factor in 156.45 care eliment from my 194.34 take home monney that means universal credit realy are paying me 37.89 a month

194.34-156.45 care eliment =37.89 universal credit

• poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 18,542 Disability Gamechanger
    Don't forget that carers allowance also pay you the £64.30 per week separately to your UC payment. You can't be paid the carers allowance twice. It makes you £156 per month better off.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • teresakoundalteresakoundal Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi, new on here,please forgive if asked before.Just made a joint claim for Universal credit, I get Carers Allowance which is paid weekly.I am confused as it says it can take some weeks to get paid.So does my Carers Allowance stop, then get paid when application is processed? Thank you.
    Hi, new on here,please forgive if asked before.Just made a joint claim for Universal credit, I get Carers Allowance which is paid weekly.I am confused as it says it can take some weeks to get paid.So does my Carers Allowance stop, then get paid when application is processed? Thank you.
    Your carers allowance isn't part of UC and will continue to be paid. Once your UC has started payments then your carers allowance will be deducted from it and a carers element will be added.

It takes approximately 5 weeks for your first UC payment.
  • teresakoundalteresakoundal Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you, that’s a relief.
  • Bruvs247Bruvs247 Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Its absolutely stupid, i claim uc and use to get 467 a month  i now claim carers allowance at £64 a week and now i get £187 u c  a month  They are taking more than my carers allowance , it doesn't make sense, i care  for my dad and even he's telling me to stop the claim and he'll get home help to come in and help him, thats what everyone should do then youll start seeing some changes being made very quick when the care system gets overloaded,  everyone needs to take a closer look at who your voting for and the reasons why cos this government doesn't care about the people like us and they know your going to care for your love ones weather your paid or not for doing it, so they pay us carers the minimum cos they know your going to do the job anyway,  WELL IM NOT,   LABOUR WOULDN'T TREAT US LIKE THIS, 
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Community champion Posts: 5,256 Disability Gamechanger
    The confusion is caused by one paid weekly and the other monthly. If you convert your carers to a monthly figure then the ammount is the same
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
    UC should also be adding a carers element of £156 per month to your UC, so you should be this amount better off because carers allowance pay you the money that's taken off the UC. It was exactly the same even when labour were in. You can't be paid carers allowance twice.
  • michy1967michy1967 Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi 
    we have just been awarded our UC but because my care allowance is more than the care part of the UC they have taken it out and have left us short on the rent we are now 105 worse off all we was asking for was the rent part of UC but they have taken my CA out of the rent money anyone got a advice?
    michy1967 said:
    Hi 
    we have just been awarded our UC but because my care allowance is more than the care part of the UC they have taken it out and have left us short on the rent we are now 105 worse off all we was asking for was the rent part of UC but they have taken my CA out of the rent money anyone got a advice?
    The reason it's taken off your UC is because carers allowance pay you separately. You can't be paid carers allowance twice. You should have had a carers element of UC added to your UC monthly payment.

Deductions from your UC will be £279 per month for the carers allowance. Carers allowance then pay you £64.30 per week, so nothing at all lost on that part, even though it may seem like it. In total you'll be £156 per month better off. Check your journal to see if there's a £156 carers element added, if not then you'll either need to contact them or put a note on your journal.
  • mkfluffymkfluffy Member Posts: 1 Listener
    To be honest it's absolutely pointless claiming carers allowance. The only benefit gained from this is to be paid CA Weekly. It's regarded as a taxable income and carers are actually working when they provide the care but yet is not treated as such through UC, the government don't see carers as benefiting the system or putting money into government or society so what do they do? £1 for £1. Its very unfair on carers as they do have to work around family life to fulfill their duties to the person they are caring for so in my eyes, as a carer for my 21 year old son, I am working. When they take the full amount its not fair at all because I also have to provide for 2 other children even after working around them to provide care. No you don't have to claim to get the carers element so for those who have claimed it and claim UC too, you have just basically cancelled yourself out. My advice? Don't claim carers. It's a pointless allowance. One that you will NEVER feel the benefit of. Just ask UC for the element. 
    The only advantage to claim Carers Allowance is that you're paid class 1 NI contributions. Which could possibly be useful in the future to claim a Contributions based benefit. So it's not completely useless.
  • madquasimodomadquasimodo Member Posts: 130 Courageous
    I have this problem, I phoned UC to enquire if I was being credited with my stamp, I sort of got the reply yes, but wasn't fully sure, I was thinking of claiming carers Allowance to cover this incase, even though its been around for a while not one of the people I have spoken to can give a proper answer to a question, it seems poorly implemented.
    I have this problem, I phoned UC to enquire if I was being credited with my stamp, I sort of got the reply yes, but wasn't fully sure, I was thinking of claiming carers Allowance to cover this incase, even though its been around for a while not one of the people I have spoken to can give a proper answer to a question, it seems poorly implemented.
    UC pays class 3 NI credits automatically towards your state pension only.

Carers allowance pay class 1 and can be used to claim contributions based benefits, providing you've worked at some point in your life.To claim carers allowance you must care for someone for at least 35 hours per week, work less than 16 hours and earn no more than £120 per week after tax. The person you're caring for must also be claiming a qualifying benefit such as DLA mid/high rate care, PIP daily living or AA.

You can check your NI contributions online here https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record

• Welshlad90Welshlad90 Member Posts: 82 Connected
    edited April 2019
    My partner has applied for carers allowance from July last year as that's when my pip has been awarded from.
    Been told because we been in receipt of UC between last July and now we wont get no backdated carers allowance payment. How correct is this?
    My partner has applied for carers allowance from July last year as that's when my pip has been awarded from.
    Been told because we been in receipt of UC between last July and now we wont get no backdated carers allowance payment. How correct is this?
    This is correct yes because the Carers Allowance is deducted £1 for £1 from the UC payments. As your partner was already claiming UC then you can't be paid twice.

When claiming UC there's no need to claim carers allowance. Your partner can claim the carers element of UC without claiming carers allowance.Your partner will need to add a note onto the UC journal to ask for the carers element to be added, whether it's backdated or not, i really don't know.
    She has already done that applied from October last year it's with the DM now for them to decide
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,121 Scope community team
    Hi @Welshlad90, Poppy is right, it won't be backdated as Carers Allowance is deducted £ for £ from Universal Credit.
    However, depending on your ages it is still worth apply for both Carers Allowance and the Carers Element of UC as Carers Allowance makes Class 1 NI contributions whereas Universal Credit alone only provides Class 3. 
    Hope that helps.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
    I dont understand though because why would they ask when you want to claim it from if they aren't gonna backdate it anyway. I thought they may of dacdated it and taken a months u/c off the claimant. So wont even get 1p backdated at all then?
    I dont understand though because why would they ask when you want to claim it from if they aren't gonna backdate it anyway. I thought they may of dacdated it and taken a months u/c off the claimant. So wont even get 1p backdated at all then?
    They ask because not everyone claims another benefit. They also ask because some people work, or have previously worked before claiming. When claiming Carers allowance you can't earn any more than £123 per week after deductions.

As previously advised the carers allowance is deducted £1 for £1 from the UC so no there won't be any backdated money from Carers allowance at all.
    Well no need to claim carers allowance then it's pointless if not entitled to nothing since my partner has been caring we can have the carers element without having to claim carers allowance
    The issue is a benefit being classed as income, which is wrong it should be exempt, the government relies on far too many people acting as unpaid carers, should no one do this the burden on the state would be massive, local care providers are stretched now imagine how bad it would be if we all stopped looking after our loved ones. 
    Exactly carers element is not taken into consideration so dont understand why carers allowance is 
    If you claimed the carers allowance and the money wasn't deducted from the UC then you would be paid it twice, which isn't possible. The only advantage to claiming carers allowance here is of course it pays class 1 NI contributions. Carers allowance can also be paid weekly but UC is paid monthly monthly, so if it was claimed then you'll at least have money weekly which can be a good thing for some people, especially when money is tight. Once all the UC has been spent at least you know you've got the CA money as a standby.
  • bazzelbazzel Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi I'm in receipt of careers allowance £65 a week.... i have applied for universal credit and if i get it i wanted to know how much i would get, and if i do get it will my careers allowance go down or will it be affected in any way
    bazzel said:
    Hi I'm in receipt of careers allowance £65 a week.... i have applied for universal credit and if i get it i wanted to know how much i would get, and if i do get it will my careers allowance go down or will it be affected in any way
    Hi,

Your Carers allowance will be deducted £1 for £1 from the UC. They will then add a carers element of £160.20 but you need to make sure this is added because it isn't always. Carers allowance will continue to pay you what you're receiving now.

How much you'll receive from UC will totally depend on your circumstances. I'd advise you to put all your details into a benefits calculator. https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou

• alikhanalikhan Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi.
    My wife is a carer. She is getting 263.05 from Dwp but UC has deducted 279.93 from the benefits. Why there is a difference? 
    Hi @alikhan and welcome to the community.
    Carer’s Allowance is paid weekly/4-weekly, whereas UC is a monthly award. To work out the deductions for Carer’s Allowance, they use the monthly average.
    The rates have recently changed as well, so in your next period, she should get paid £66.15 a week Carer’s Allowance and you’ll see a deduction of £286.65 from your monthly Universal Credit.

Are you also getting the carer’s element of UC?
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
  • miclaricemiclarice Member Posts: 1 Listener
    ive been on universal credit for a while now and iv recently applied for carers and have been given the £66 a week and they take more then the cost of carers from my uc they take £289 when carers is £264 in total a month so why have they took more money of my uc then the cost of carers and i diddnt get the carers element whats the point of having carers allowance when you you loose more money then what its worth
    edited June 2019
    I believe it the way they calculate the payment one is monthly/every 4 weeks the other is yearly figure divided by 52, it sound daft but they do add up the same, my partner had the same problem and that's what they said, someone may offer an other solution, but with some benefits still being classed as income, the system goes weird.

I just replied from an email alert and see Adrian has already answered :/ 

miclarice said:
    ive been on universal credit for a while now and iv recently applied for carers and have been given the £66 a week and they take more then the cost of carers from my uc they take £289 when carers is £264 in total a month so why have they took more money of my uc then the cost of carers and i diddnt get the carers element whats the point of having carers allowance when you you loose more money then what its worth
    The only advantage to claiming carers allowance when claiming UC is the NI credits that's paid with Carers allowance. Adrian's post above explains why it seems like they deduct more but they don't.

You don't have to claim CA when claiming UC because you can claim the carers element without claiming the carers allowance.

You also need to check that they are adding the carers element of £160.20 per month to your UC payments because this isn't always automatically added when claiming CA.
    Hello @miclarice and a very warm welcome to the community. :)

I hope @madquasimodo's explanation has helped you understand the deduction, it works out the same over the course of the year. 

As @poppy123456 mentioned, be sure that they are adding on the Carers Element premium to your UC, if they're not, get in touch with them as they should. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
  • geordie12geordie12 Member Posts: 7 Listener
    edited July 2019
    Am I right in saying this if your on UC and your partner's get carers I understand they take off £1.00 for £1.00 but if you claim carers element as well are you financially any better off I understand it pays your ni contribution but does it give you any extra money also how does carers affect rent money I'm not on UC yet but I know it's coming soon I dread it 
    geordie12 said:
    Am I right in saying this if your on UC and your partner's get carers I understand they take off £1.00 for £1.00 but if you claim carers element as well are you financially any better off I understand it pays your ni contribution but does it give you any extra money also how does carers affect rent money I'm not on UC yet but I know it's coming soon I dread it 
    There's a pilot trial being launched in Harrogate North Yorkshire, which was supposed to start in July but it's been delayed. 10,000 people will be invited to move across for this. If you're not living in this area then i wouldn't worry about it because it could possible be years until you're invited to apply, unless a change of circumstances prompts a move in the meantime.

When managed migration does start there will be a transitional support protection in place so you won't be any worse off. In the meantime try to relax, i know it's difficult but right now there's really nothing to worry about.
    Hello @geordie12. As Poppy said, it could be years before you have to apply so please try not to worry.

To answer your question though:
    Carer's Allowance is deducted £ for £ from Universal Credit as it is an overlapping benefit. However when you add on the Carer Element it adds an extra £160 monthly to your claim, so you are better off. You can claim the carer element without claiming carer's allowance but there are other advantages to claiming CA too. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
    Hi did anyone else not receive the carers allowance payment today or was it just me......?
    bazzel said:
    Hi did anyone else not receive the carers allowance payment today or was it just me......?
    I'd advise you to ring carers allowance if payment hasn't been received.
    My partner received her payment as normal
    I’m currently abroad so can’t  call them, but it’s  the first time I’m ever I’ve missed in 2 years so I doubt it’s  a mess up
    bazzel said:
    I’m currently abroad so can’t  call them, but it’s  the first time I’m ever I’ve missed in 2 years so I doubt it’s  a mess up
    Has the person you're claiming is for been re-assessed recently? If so then this could be the reason for not receiving payment today but we could only guess here.
  • buzzerbuzzer Member Posts: 107 Pioneering
    bazzel said: July 15th
    bazzel said: April 25th

poppy123456 said: April 25th
    Hi,

Your Carers allowance will be deducted £1 for £1 from the UC. They will then add a carers element of £160.20 but you need to make sure this is added because it isn't always. Carers allowance will continue to pay you what you're receiving now. 

How much you'll receive from UC will totally depend on your circumstances. I'd advise you to put all your details into a benefits calculator. https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou

Looks like it’s due to your UC claim you discussed in April

Try & be kind to one another even if we may have different views. 

Yes, that's exactly the reason why. Thanks for that @buzzer
    Yh my mum has had to Be reassessed but she Got given more time, (24th of July) to get the form in... but my money has stopped now, surely it would stop near the 24th 
    Why does she have to be re-assessed? if her PIP has stopped then what's the reason for it stopping. What's the end date of her award for PIP?
    buzzer said:
    bazzel said: July 15th
    bazzel said: April 25th

poppy123456 said: April 25th
    Hi,

How much you'll receive from UC will totally depend on your circumstances. I'd advise you to put all your details into a benefits calculator. https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou

Looks like it’s due to your UC claim you discussed in April
    Thinking about this, i'm not sure where my head was this morning lol.

When claiming UC a claim for carers allowance doesn't just stop, you still receive the carers allowance payment from them but it's deducted £1 for £1 from the UC payment.

Just thought i'd correct this, just incase others read it and get the wrong information.
    We wondering if we are on the correct elements we get standard allowance for couples £498.98
    Then £490 towards rent     support for 1 child £277.88. Disabled child  £126.06  then we are both carers £286.86  plus £286.86 is deducted and we are left with £1026 a month after £690 is deducted with other deduction due to housing benefit over payment due to a fault on their behalf. We can't see anything about the carers element or does it come under something else. Thanks 
    SkyMary7 said:
    We wondering if we are on the correct elements we get standard allowance for couples £498.98
    Then £490 towards rent     support for 1 child £277.88. Disabled child  £126.06  then we are both carers £286.86  plus £286.86 is deducted and we are left with £1026 a month after £690 is deducted with other deduction due to housing benefit over payment due to a fault on their behalf. We can't see anything about the carers element or does it come under something else. Thanks 
    Hi,

You can't both claim carers element for the same person, only 1 of you can claim this. It's paid as carers element and it's £160.20 per month. It's not automatically paid in UC, you need to report the changes on your journal for this to be paid.

The £286 that's being deducted is because someone is claiming carers allowance and this is deducted £1 for £1 from your UC payments, so this is correct.

Standard couple is correct, rent will depend on your circumstances and how many bedrooms you're entitled to. For this you'll need to check the local housing allowance for your area.

Child element is correct, if you have 1 qualifying child as well as the disabled child element if they are claiming DLA/PIP.

Based on my calculations i can't see where they are deducting £690 per month.

£490 + £126.06+ £498.98 + £277.88 = £1392.92 - £286.86 for carers allowance = £1,106.06. Based on your figures above they are deducting £80 and not £690.

You should also be claiming the carers element which is £160.20 per month. Add this with your calculation of £1026 gives a grand total of £1,186.20 per month. You receive the carers allowance separately to the UC payments.

Once the overpayment has been repaid then you will be another £80 per month better off.

Why does she have to be re-assessed? if her PIP has stopped then what's the reason for it stopping. What's the end date of her award for PIP?
    It’s something that happens every two years, she’s not the only one she has friend it happens to aswell, and the form has to be in by the 24th July, it was meant to be in earlier but she was given more time, that’s why I’m confused, she’s meant to get paid from them either tomorrow or Wednesday, but my money I get every Monday has stopped we doubt she’ll get hers, but that’s silly because she has until the 24th so surly it would stop then or after???, and I’m currently abroad so I can’t call there number to get in contact
    How long have you been abroad for and is your mum with you? You didn't answer my question..What's the end date of her award for PIP?

The only way to know if her PIP has stopped is for her to ring DWP and ask them.

Hi poppy 123456 we are both carers I'm a carer for my dad and my partner for our daughter. So they deduct 286.86 from both of us. We can't see anything about the carers element we have been carers since June last year and never had this element for even one of us. Do you think it is worth ringing and asking about it thanks Sarah 
    You need to report the changes on your journal, the carers element isn't automatically added.

Poppy 123456 OK just confused as there are no changes as it is down that we are both carers and receive carers allowance and that is deducted from the universal credit. Thanks 
    Put a note on your journal asking them to add the carers element twice because you're both claiming carers allowance. Or you can ring UC to speak to your case manager.
    How long have you been abroad for and is your mum with you? You didn't answer my question..What's the end date of her award for PIP?

The only way to know if her PIP has stopped is for her to ring DWP and ask them.

So we woke up and my mum has been paid, so that she even more concerning because I haven’t, and I’ve been away since last Friday, get home on the Saturday coming, and shes not sure what date it ends, If i thinking of PIP correctly then that’s what she’s being assessed for so the 24th like I said, either way if her money has carried on being paid why hasn’t mine 
    I'm afraid the only way you'll know is to ring them when you return home, if you haven't received it by then.
  • gsingh79gsingh79 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Just wondering if anyone can help.

Under the old system my wife and I were both receiving Carers allowance. I was receiving this for looking after my disabled mother and my wife was receiving this for looking after her grandmother. We were also receiving a single payment of income support of £115 per fortnight. 

My wifes Grandmother recently went into a care home and therefore her carers allowance stopped. As she is now a Job seeker she applied under the new scheme for Universal Credit. Our income support has also stopped. 

For some reason they not only have deducted my £285 from the Universal Credit entitlement but also the same amount for my wife. 

The amount we both have been awarded for Universal Credit is a total of £69 for the month. This seems shockingly low for a couple to live off and does not seem correct. 

This is what they state:
    Standard couple allowance £498.89
    Carer Element £160.20
    Total £659.09

Deductions
    Mine £286.65
    Wifes £286.65

Advance £16.67

Total Deductions £589.97
    Total Payment per month £69.12

Could you guys please advise as to what we can do. Thank you.

You need to report the changes to UC that you no longer receive carers allowance for your wife's grandmother. Once this is done then you will start to receive that extra £285 per month.

How long have you stopped claiming carers allowance for?

Do you also claiming for help with your rent? I don't see an element for this in your calculations.

@poppy123456

My wife stopped getting Carers Allowance on the 10th of June (last payment) because she filled out a change of circumstance form online. We told them this at the UC interview and I also believe her UC journal also states this. Only I still receive CA.

No we don’t claim for rent as the property is bought. However, I think we need to claim for Council tax reduction again as it stopped when the income support stopped. 
  • Hart86Hart86 Member Posts: 394 Pioneering
    From experience this will be a problem on the end of Carers Allowance not universal credit. You need to call them and check they have CLOSED your wife’s claim not suspended it, they typically just put it on pause when someone cancels (so no payment is being made but account is still live) so it’s easier for them to reinstate (most cases it’s cancelled is because someone is waiting for a pip or DLA appeal). Until it’s fully closed universal credit will keep picking up that it’s active and think she’s being paid it so will continue to deduct. 

Call Carers Allowance on Monday and then call UC and explain it has been incorrectly deducted xx
    I'm assuming that the Income support claim was in your wife's name, which was why you had to claim UC?

Sounds like a simple mistake which often happens with UC. Give them a ring on Monday and speak to your case manager.

Yes, council tax reduction isn't part of UC.
    @Hart86 thank you, I will do this Monday first thing. 

@poppy123456 the Income Support was in my name. But we had to claim for UC because when her CA ended the only way to claim Jobseekers Allowance was to go the Universal Credit route. 
    I think it was a case of being misinformed. If you were you claiming Income Support as couple then this could have continued because you were still claiming Carers allowance for looking after someone. Too late now but still, sometimes it's always worth getting face to face advice before acting on something.

@poppy123456 even the face to face interviews at the job centre we weren’t told this. Our marriage status on my wife’s UC claim stopped my income support. It’s all very confusing and there doesn’t seem to be any proper help from the UC department itself.

When your wife started a claim for UC because it's a means tested benefit then you claim as a couple, and this is why your Income support claim stopped.
    I hope you manage to get this rectified @gsingh79. :)
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
  • stevieboo22stevieboo22 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi, I realise this is an old thread so I apologise for that but I was wondering if somebody could help me please. I claim UC and recently got awarded carers allowance. I had a 3month payment backdated. I was wondering if the backdated amount paid be deducted from my UC?
    Yes it would as you cant claim UC and carers at same time. They may contact you to say you owe them money. Best to contact them monday
    How could I owe them money? The claim went through and first CA payment was paid Friday, I'm due to be paid UC beginning of next month? It's so confusing 
    I understand they deduct the weekly carers which is fine, but I wasnt aware they would deduct the backdated pay all in one, that would leave no UC at all?
    Because if you have been claiming UC during the CA backdated period then you cant have 2 payments in once. So UC class it as a overpayment. You will need to contact them to double check. It happened to my partner a fee months ago
    What me and my partner did is when we had the backdating we paid back whatever the over payment was straight away and then it left us with £600 which was ours to spend 
    If there is a overpayment they will make monthly deductions to repay it
    Ohh okay so there is a monthly repayment option? It's just I worry about falling into rent arrears, thankyou i will contact them 
    Yes they can take monthly reductions to cover the overpayment debt if you dont want to pay it all back in one
    Be aware mind if they do take monthly reductions then can deduct up to 40% of your monthly allowance each month best to negotiate with them to get it as low as possible
    Okay thankyou will keep that it mind x
    Hi,

Also make sure that they add the carers element of £160.20 per month. For this you'll need to make sure that you report the changes on your journal BUT if the person that's caring is claiming the LCWRA of UC then they won't receive the carers element at the same time.
  • TinydragonTinydragon Member Posts: 2 Listener
    If you claimed the carers allowance and the money wasn't deducted from the UC then you would be paid it twice, which isn't possible. The only advantage to claiming carers allowance here is of course it pays class 1 NI contributions. Carers allowance can also be paid weekly but UC is paid monthly monthly, so if it was claimed then you'll at least have money weekly which can be a good thing for some people, especially when money is tight. Once all the UC has been spent at least you know you've got the CA money as a standby.
    The problem is that the whole amount is taken off uc for carers allowance, but the carers element can be applied without being in receipt of carers allowance. So for people who cannot work looking after someone 24/7, they are worse off than if someone can work 18 hours a week earning £800 a month, where only something like 20p for every pound is taken off AFTER earning something like £280 which is disregarded. So you can earning £280 working with no deductions and carers element and after that you get to keep 80p per pound earned. Carers allowance for those who cannot work get £280 pcm and the whole lot gets taken off. That is the issue. There is no point in having carers allowance when you get the same amount of uc without it. The carers element gets paid with a dwp letter, you dont need to be getting carers allowance to get it. So no, it doesnt mean you are paid twice, the carers allowance is meant to replace a wage for people who have caring responsibilities and it is taken off uc.
    @Tinydragon the carers allowance was always deducted £1 for £1 from all the old legacy benefits so there's not really any difference there. If it's received in UC and the old legacy benefits and from carers allowance then yes, it would be paid twice.

The advantage to claiming carers allowance is that you're paid class 1 NI credits where as UC pays class 3. Also for those living in Scotland claiming carers allowance they are paid a supplementary payment of £226.50 a year, which isn't deducted from any UC payment. I know it's not much but it's more than those living in other areas.

Not everyone is entitled to the work allowance on UC. It depends on circumstances. To receive this you must either be responsible for a young person or have limited capability for work. If there's no work allowance then the 63% deductions apply to all earnings.

• TinydragonTinydragon Member Posts: 2 Listener
    You dont receive carers allowance in uc. You receive it separately and that same amount gets taken off uc. There is never a time that you will get paid it twice. 

When I was working, I got the carers element of uc because my son gets the high rate disability and the low rate mobility. When I had to give up work to take care of him full time, I applied for carers allowance so that I would at least claw back £66 a week as I wasnt able to work and look after him. It turns out that I couldn't claw back anything as uc took out the full amount from my entitlement, so I was minus my whole wage because I have a disabled son and uc didnt give me more money to account for taking off the carers allowance.
    So what is the point in carers allowance? Other than a whole what? £8 extra a month in NI contributions? Uc might as well just pay class 1 NI contributions and the whole carers allowance might as well be scrapped for the use it is.
    You'll be amazed at the amount of people that think they will be paid the full amount of UC and carers allowance at the same time.

Carers allowance won't be scrapped because not everyone claims UC or any other means tested benefit. Some people claim just the carers allowance.

In the old legacy benefits like income related ESA you had to claim the carers allowance to receive the carers premium. When UC started they changed the rules and you don't have to claim CA to receive the carers element.
  • abi1abi1 Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi I currently claim carers allowance for my mum I care over 35 hours per week for her. I'm wondering when I claim universal credit will I still have to go for the first interview or can I do it all online?
    abi1 said:
    Hi I currently claim carers allowance for my mum I care over 35 hours per week for her. I'm wondering when I claim universal credit will I still have to go for the first interview or can I do it all online?
    Hi,

Yes, you will need to attend that first appointment because it's to confirm your identity. The carers allowance will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC amount and you'll need to make sure they add the Carers element of UC to your claim.
  • beejo2019beejo2019 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hello all, 
    I new to all this and realise this thread is an old ne but i need some advice. I get uc at a rate of 317 per month and recently started gettng carers allowance of 66.15 a week. I understand that my carers money is taken off my uc at a rate of 1pound per 1 pound im given so basically im left with approx 28 uc per month. They add the carers element onto my uc so i think that should boost me upto around 188 a month. Minus my deductions of 24 a month would leave me 164 per month approx however now because i backdated my carers they are taking a further 48 odd from my uc which leaves me with 116 per month although i only recieve 67 uc. The dwp cannot tell me any good reason why my uc is so low after all deductions and ive started getting angry with my advisor because he cannot explain the further loss of money. Was hoping someone on here could offer some help or tell me if the money taken for my backdated carers claim can be adjusted. No one at DWP told me any of this when i enquired about claiming carers and i did not recieve any notification that they would start deducting money for the backdated part of my claim. Is it really worth it, i think i would be better off back on full uc and having my mother get someone in who actually gets paid a wage to look after my father as the carers allowance nothing compared to an actual wage that these people get yet its considered a wage by the DWP.  My mum gets PIP and im not sure if its ESA or whatever for herself, if she was to begin claiming carers would it affect her as badly?

The only advantage to claiming carers allowance when claiming UC is Carers allowance pay class 1 NI where as UC pays class 3. For those that live in Scotland they will receive an additional sum on top paid twice a year. If you live in the rest of the UK then that doesn't apply.

When you received the backdated money for carers allowance the reason why you have to pay it back is because you shouldn't have received that backdated money because you already received it from UC. This is yet another flaw with UC sadly.

You can claim hardship and ask for the money you're paying back to be reduced. I do believe there is a minimum amount which they take each month but that depends on your circumstances. See link. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/problems-with-your-payment/if-your-payment-is-stopped-or-reduced/

Your parents and their benefits, do you live with them?

@poppy123456
    Thanks for your reply, i will ask at jobcentre tomorrow to see if i can have this repayment decreased somewhat as its cutting into the money i need to get by and pay bills.
    No i dont live with my parents, i stay in my own property and have decided that after new year i may as well stop claiming the carers allowance as its a bit of a scam by the DWP in my opinion, i will continue to assist my father but shall do so off my own back like previous but my mother will also take on some more of the responsibilities but she herself is approaching pension age in the coming months and does not understand the ins and outs of anything to do with the DWP or the carers allowance thing. Im unsure, as is she, of how this will affect her in any monies that she gets currently or in the future. Like i said she currently gets PIP and im sure its ESA as she has COPD and fibromyalgia amongst other things and this takes a toll on her so any extra worry would be of great concern to me.
    I suffer from sciatica myself so some days her help with my father is needed and i do have anxiety/depression. I claim UC as its all ive been told i can.claim and knew nothing of carers allowance until a friend told me i could get extra money for helping to look after my father but.like i stated when i enquired with my advisor i was not informed that money would be taken back from my UC for my back payment of carers or i would not have claimed it. Im not looking to be well off nor make stupid amounts of money for looking after my father, however my advisor said that i would lose the same as i would as if i was working, around 60 odd pence in the pound, and thats not the case, im losing more than that like you said its pound for pound. As it stands with deductions for the repayment of back dated money etc id be better off back on full UC i think and seeing what other options are available. 
    Seems to me the system is being abused by junkies and the like getting carers allowance and all the trimminģs for each other and when.its a single person whos trying to do something right for a parent then the system rips the hole. UC is not fit for purpose as it is but adding carers allowance into it and the whole thing becomes a spectacular mess
    edited October 2019
    Carers allowance was always deducted £1 for £1 from all the old benefits, UC is no different.

Are your parents claiming ESA as a couple? If not, what benefits does your father claim? and does any other person over the age of 18 live with them?

The reason i ask those questions is if you wasn't claiming Carers allowance for looking after your father then they could potentially claim the severe disability premium (couples rate) which is £131.70 per week. This is paid on top of certain income related benefits, such as Income Support, Income Related ESA/JSA and pension credit. However, because you are claiming Carers allowance for looking after your father they can't claim the couples rate, until you stop the carers allowance and carers element.

At the moment, if no other person lives with them and your mother claims Income Related ESA then she could claim severe disability premium (single rate) providing no claims carers allowance for looking after her.

It maybe a good idea for your parents to get a full benefits check at an advice agency near them.

Do be aware also that if you stop the carers allowance/carers element then your claimant commitment will change.

Hi @beejo2019 and welcome to the community. 
    The Job Centre won't be able to help with reducing the repayments. On your statement under the deductions section there should be a number for Debt Management (they're separate to the JC), if you give them a call you can discuss lowering repayments with them. The advance can't be lowered but the Carer's Allowance repayment can, especially if you explain it is putting you in financial hardship.

I'm not sure if you're aware but you can claim the carer element of Universal Credit without claiming Carer's Allowance. You can claim this whether you're working or not, but it still removes work commitments. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
    @Adrian_Scope
    Hi there mate, thanks lots of usefull info on this site. It was just the carers backdated payments part i was looking to get reduced. Im going to look further into how i can claim the carers element without the carers allowance to see if id be better off or how much would be deducted from my uc. Not too bothered about removing work commitments as im still actively looking for work currently albeit part time as im not wishing to stay on uc, i need to work as it gets me out amongst people and gives me more options and if i can do that around caring for my father, which is mostly evenings and nights then id be more than happy to take up employment. Any info on what this carers element involves etc would be grand. Thanks for your reply 
    Carers allowance was always deducted £1 for £1 from all the old benefits, UC is no different.

Are your parents claiming ESA as a couple? If not, what benefits does your father claim? and does any other person over the age of 18 live with them?

The reason i ask those questions is if you wasn't claiming Carers allowance for looking after your father then they could potentially claim the severe disability premium (couples rate) which is £131.70 per week. This is paid on top of certain income related benefits, such as Income Support, Income Related ESA/JSA and pension credit. However, because you are claiming Carers allowance for looking after your father they can't claim the couples rate, until you stop the carers allowance and carers element.

At the moment, if no other person lives with them and your mother claims Income Related ESA then she could claim severe disability premium (single rate) providing no claims carers allowance for looking after her.

It maybe a good idea for your parents to get a full benefits check at an advice agency near them.

Do be aware also that if you stop the carers allowance/carers element then your claimant commitment will change.
    @poppy123456
    My parents dont claim ESA together just my mother, my father gets attendance allowance and his pension and they stay by themselves and no one claims carers for her. 
    I do understand my work commitments will change if i stop claiming carers but im still seeking work currently albeit it part time as i miss being employed and being out amongst people etc, and if i can find employment that works around assisting my father then id jump at it, i do not want to be on this uc nonsense much longer
    Hi @beejo2019. If you decide to, you can just call Carer's Allowance and ask to stop your claim with them (be sure they stop it and not just suspend). You should continue to receive the carer element of UC as long as you continue to provide care to your father, have you checked you already receive this? You don't need to claim Carer's Allowance to receive the care element. 

Your statement should have:
    Standard Allowance: £317,82
    Carer Element: £160.20
    Any rent element

Currently you're having deductions of £286 because you're also receiving Carer's Allowance. If you stopped Carer's Allowance you won't have that deduction from your UC. 

If you call Debt Management, they should be able to lower the repayments on the backdated Carer's Allowance. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
    @Adrian_Scope
    Thanks for the info. How do i go about just claiming the carers element on uc? What info do i need to give them etc? Also as im in scotland i get a payment twice a year but i missed the 1st one by a week due to my claim being late but i have heard that i could still recieve it as i had backdated my claim to march and may possibly be paid it with the 2nd payment in December, is this correct? Any help is greatly appreciated my friend. Sorry about delay in replying, my father had a bad day yesterday
    I thought you said they already add the carers element onto your claim? Please check, it's £160.20 per month.

Everyone that claims carers allowance in Scotland will receive the additional payment twice a year, but you must be claiming the carers allowance on a specific date. For the December payment if you're still claiming carers allowance on 14th October then you'll receive the £226 in December. https://www.mygov.scot/carers-allowance-supplement/

Sign in or join us to comment.