Motability, Blue Badges and disabled motoring
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

Should I apply for a blue badge?

SystemSystem Posts: 471 Scope community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, we are the Employment Advisors, ask us a question.

Replies

• pest118pest118 Member Posts: 34 Listener
    I am not able applied or qualify  for a UC.
    Do you think I should apply a blue bagde. Because of my learning disability.
    Should I apply for a blue badge. Because of my learning disability/ hidden disability.
    I am having problems with the calculator. Also could I apply for a blue badge.
  • wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,138 Disability Gamechanger
    @pest118
    No you should not apply for a blue badge unless you have a mobility problem. As those who have a blue badge are allowed to park close to amenities because they have mobility problems. Saying that I am a blue badge holder using a mobility scooter have seen to often people with blue badges parking up and walking off with out a walking or mobility aid or visable disability then later you see them carrying shopping bags and have walked all over town or shopping Center  it has caused me and others to wonder .
  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Member Posts: 7,732 Disability Gamechanger
    Do you claim any other benefits @pest118

Blue badges are available to some people who don't have physical impairments.

@wilko some people have blue badges because of invisible impairments and you can't see what is going on in their lives by seeing they arent a wheelchair user.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
    I know that Sam, but because a person has learning, reading difficulties or no visable disability applying for a blue badge can be faked by making your condition worst when you go for an acessement then getting a blue badge  falsely  and enjoying the benefits. In the last 12 months I have seen many park up and walk off just as well as any other able body person covering distances like others out shopping. 
    I have a blue badge and to look at me you probably wouldn't understand why.  Of course no one should fake their impairment or exaggerate it but I think we need to have a bit more understanding of invisible impairments :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • lillybellelillybelle Member Posts: 458 Pioneering
    To get a blue badge you must be able to show that you have the disability.
    if that piece of paper is shown and accepted you are entitled to a blue badge.
    i am entitled to one ( haven’t got one ) but I have a hidden condition that people who watch me get in & out of a car just wouldn’t see.
    people should not judge others just because they don’t look disabled enough to qualify.
    I agree fully. What is a blue badge for? To allow the badge holder to  park closer to the amienites they intend to vist or use. That said when people who are badge holders park in a bay and walk unaided distances as far as able bodied people and carrying loaded shopping bags it does make you wonder what their problem is that they have to use a blue badge.
  • MisscleoMisscleo Member Posts: 646 Pioneering
    You shouldnt apply for a blue badge unless you have problems walking.
    There only a few spaces for disabled people. If you dump yourself in them where are disabled people going to park their cars.
    Youd have row after row  of disabled spaces and thed be full of selfish people who COULD WALK TO THE SHOP etc
    Keep out of disabled person parking bays if you can put one foot in front of the other.
    A LOT OF US CARNT WALK 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 20,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Misscleo said:
    You shouldnt apply for a blue badge unless you have problems walking.
    There only a few spaces for disabled people. If you dump yourself in them where are disabled people going to park their cars.
    Youd have row after row  of disabled spaces and thed be full of selfish people who COULD WALK TO THE SHOP etc
    Keep out of disabled person parking bays if you can put one foot in front of the other.
    A LOT OF US CARNT WALK 
    Totally disagree with this! A blind person can have a blue badge and why shouldn't they???
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • lillybellelillybelle Member Posts: 458 Pioneering
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,756 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • stephenjohnstephenjohn Member Posts: 44 Courageous
    There is gross misuse of blue badges ,I have seen people leave a car and sprint off down the road like seb Coe ,but who am I to say if that person is misusing a blue badge ,my wife has non epileptic seazure syndrome ,she can collapse with out warning up to 10 times a day and then might not have a seazure for a week so does that mean it’s a misuse or not ,she doesn’t look sick but her life is hell ,I had to give up work and become a full time carer,this brings all the financial matters to the fore and having a blue badge is not a medal of honour that some treat it as! I don’t have a blue badge ,I think a badge should be awarded to registered vehicle or vehicles and do it electronically like tax and insurance and that would be stored by the DVLA and PNC and if checked by a warden it would come up as disabled ......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,756 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • susan48susan48 Member Posts: 2,229 Disability Gamechanger
    If someone is entitled to a blue badge, visible or non visible condition, nobody has the right to judge.

The procedures for getting badge are in place for a reason and checks made so if you qualify then who are we to judge anyone.

• regentregent Member Posts: 29 Connected
    Susan 48, yes, your right who are we to judge..., i think there is too many on here, expressing weird Personal opinions which must be a bit scary to anyone asking a basic question for  their initial guidance.
    Some i think, just want to see their 'comments'.in print. Let's face it , sometimes there is a lot of rubbish talked on  here , which comes across as though it 's Fact...when it's far from it...
    So, i think, when someone asks a question, consider  a true Factual answer and not your own personal opinion, which will misguide...

Please stop ...the Bar room Lawyers!!!
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 20,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Victoriad said:
    At our local council, the form asks which vehicles the blue badge will  be used for.
    I u destando that pollice and traffic wardens can check this information.

All local councils ask for the registration number of the vehicles the badges will be used in. It has nothing to do with checking the cars they will be used in, it's purely for their info only. The first time i had my blue badge i put mine reg down, the 2nd time i applied (automatically qualify) i didn't put any reg numbers down. It's not mandatory that any reg numbers are put down when applying for the blue badge.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    There is no need for a car registration number to be know to the council as long as the badge holder displays the badge in the car being used is all that matters if it yours, mine hire or loan car the badge is the use of the holder.
  • fishingmumfishingmum Member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    my son is autistic and he we have one for him, if he is not in the car I do not use disabled parking bays, it is only when he is there. I do get annoyed when you see people who have the blue badge for someone else and that person is not in the car and they use it to go shopping for example. I also get annoyed when people park in parent and toddler bays when it is just them going in and out of shops and no kids. it is there soley for the purpose of people who need it regardless of being a visible condition or not.
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
     I do get annoyed when you see people who have the blue badge for someone else and that person is not in the car and they use it to go shopping for example.
    I'm not sure how you would know if someone is abusing the use of a Blue Badge, because the picture of the person it belongs to is on the other side of the badge and it's not visible to anyone. Like you said there are conditions that aren't visible so it's impossible to know of any misuse.
Sign in or join us to comment.