PIP isn't as fair as DLA! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP isn't as fair as DLA!

Ladypetal
Ladypetal Community member Posts: 8 Connected
I used to be on DLA Indefinitely, but recently was switched over to PIP and although I got the same award it's not indefinite, which means I have to go through another stressful assessment etc in another 4 years time even though my spinal condition isn't going to get any better! It seems so unfair - is anyone else in the same boat/have advice? 

Comments

• Madworld
    Madworld Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    @Ladypetal From one pip claiment to another consider yourself lucky, the govenment is completely fudged up at the moment. Theres people who cant walk having their claims stopped if you do some research you'll realize how unfair they are being to the disabled right now, theres been more appeals then ever this year its crazy and assessors have been caught out lying. I'm sorry non of this is good news, this can happen to any of us and injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere as martin luther king said but pip doesnt see it that way. All i can do for you is give you some very good advice... ask for permission to record any assessment you have in the future to do this you must ring them before hand and they will let the assessor know, if you do this you wont be kicked of your claim or have any worries of it being reduced and believe me when I say this is happening everywhere. Hope you take this advice.
  • Maria1971
    Maria1971 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I am so sorry this is happening to you. My own circumstances that they have refused are unbelievable and I have also heard of others too.
    It's about time we took a stand and now I have my voice back I will stand with you.
    Life shouldn't be like this and you shouldn't either!
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    You haven't been switched over. DLA ended and you were asked to apply for pip. Everyone is having to apply.

@Madworld
    I don't think telling a poster that if they record their assessment they won't lose money is safe advice. 
    In fact that's really scary advice! 

It's been suggested that all claims will be recorded in the future, but there was a discussion on here that this isn't going to assist you with getting your claim if the assessor and DM decide not to award you?

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/3755-25-april-2018-update

No timescale for it by the looks of it. 

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Madworld
    Madworld Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    @whistles if you intend to prevent any lies being written on your report then its good advice and completely legal as stated on the PIP website. Recording the assessment is completely fine if requested before the assessment, and looking at how many people have been failed this way I think its very good advice. @Maria1971 I agree with you completely and thankyou for your support, I think if we all stand together in this we have more of a chance to stop it happening. Seriously disabled people are having their rights stripped away daily, something must be done. Thankyou both for your response 
  • Ladypetal
    Maria1971 said:
    I am so sorry this is happening to you. My own circumstances that they have refused are unbelievable and I have also heard of others too.
    It's about time we took a stand and now I have my voice back I will stand with you.
    Life shouldn't be like this and you shouldn't either!
    whistles said:
    You haven't been switched over. DLA ended and you were asked to apply for pip. Everyone is having to apply.

@Madworld
    I don't think telling a poster that if they record their assessment they won't lose money is safe advice. 

It's been suggested that all claims will be recorded in the future, but there was a discussion on here that this isn't going to assist you with getting your claim if the assessor and DM decide not to award you?

whistles said:

@Madworld

• redhead53
    redhead53 Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    you can record but it wont alter the result as its you the acess not your voice

• Ladypetal
    Thanks guys, I am still on  DLA 'til May 9th, then payments will be switched to PIP. (which I obviously had to apply for Whistles). I just wanted to know why PIP hasn't made my award Indefinite (where as DLA system did) and my spinal dis; isn't going to get better alas. Any advice (re the Indefinite part) would be helpful, and good luck to you all too x
  • whistles
    Madworld said:
    @whistles if you intend to prevent any lies being written on your report then its good advice and completely legal as stated on the PIP website. Recording the assessment is completely fine if requested before the assessment, and looking at how many people have been failed this way I think its very good advice. @Maria1971 I agree with you completely and thankyou for your support, I think if we all stand together in this we have more of a chance to stop it happening. Seriously disabled people are having their rights stripped away daily, something must be done. Thankyou both for your response 
    But you have written that people will not lose money.
    How can you possibly know that recording it means they keep their PIP at the rates already awarded? 
    It's an assessment based on how you are at the assessment- include here paperbased evidence. 

• whistles
    Ladypetal said:
    Thanks guys, I am still on  DLA 'til May 9th, then payments will be switched to PIP. (which I obviously had to apply for Whistles). I just wanted to know why PIP hasn't made my award Indefinite (where as DLA system did) and my spinal dis; isn't going to get better alas. Any advice (re the Indefinite part) would be helpful, and good luck to you all too x
    Because it's not DLA. Different benefit different lengths. I think they can award up to ten years. 
    But if you cast your mind way way back, the original DLA length was short. Mine was and then they lengthened it.
    My circumstances might improve/ be the same or get worse by the next assessment.
    Yes you spinal issues won't get better, but they are not assessing that, they are assessing descriptors. So if you worsen, you might move to enhanced. 

• Ladypetal
    I don't understand what you mean by descriptors? I am going to get the same amount financially on pip as I did on dla and am already on enhanced too. I just don't think it's fair that I have to reapply again after just 4 years, its just more unneccessary stress that we don't need - Vote Labour!
  • whistles
    If you have the same amount as you were before, I wouldn't be moaning about four years assessments.  :)  

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    There are 'no end date' awards but the DWP will still want to review these every 10 years even for conditions that cannot improve.  The government will still want to check on people even though this will be a waste of public time and money.  They just don't like paying out benefits so will insist on checking in order to keep control.

Labour have said that the will make indefinite awards to those whose conditions cannot improve.
  • [Deleted User]
  • Matilda
    My award letter states 'no end date' but that I will be contacted after 10 years from the date the award was made.
  • [Deleted User]
  • Matilda
    Some awards have end dates, others do not have end dates.
  • [Deleted User]
  • whistles
    edited April 2018
    When Amazon start selling brains I'm cured.  
    My mind works fine though.

People are still hung up on their condition improving or not. An improvement in your condition might not mean you can suddenly cook. It getting worse might not mean you are suddenly in a wheelchair. Thats why they check HOW your life is effected, not what it is you suffer from.

Talking of MH its such a vast and interesting subject that even psychiatry is in its infancy. 
    But with all your labels @Victoriad they agree you are depressed then!
    I love the subject-I know that's a PIP score of 10 in itself right!! Weirdo alert.
    But I did the A level equivalent. And there wasn't really a right or wrong answer because a lot of it is based on presentation and what the person feels and says.
    I come from Mars- delusional or having a laugh ( how do you know the difference  :) )

Maybe they are giving out too many labels these days, when i was depressed. I was simply depressed. Think there might be nine different types!! Get that wrong, you are on the wrong grubs and wrong pathway.

But a part of me wonders that the checking isn't necessarily a bad thing. We are all individuals and what's happened to get us where we are behind the screen today, is individual. As I get older my condition is going to deteriorate, but that's probably age related as much as the condition itself. 

• [Deleted User]

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.