Searching for equipment: Kaye frame and wheel chair with self-propelling wheels — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Searching for equipment: Kaye frame and wheel chair with self-propelling wheels

Options
012345 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello,

I am currently searching for a kaye frame and an Invacare Action 3 Junior with self-propelling wheels.
If anyone knows where I could find ether of these items at a  lower cost than the online rate it would be greatly appreciated. 

Kind regards
Emma

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @012345
    Welcome to the community, we have some information on disability equipment here that might help.

Good luck!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Options

Hi @12345 Emma

Welcome to the community.

Getting the right kit at the right price can be a real problem!

Firstly I just wanted to double check that you are aware that your local NHS wheelchair clinic can supply wheelchairs for children assessed as needing them and meeting their criteria.

Some clinics also do other children's mobility equipment such as Walkers but availability and criteria's vary a great deal across the UK. Your child's Occupational Therapist (OT) should be able to advise on the situation locally.

However, I appreciate that often parents are told that their child doesn't meet the criteria or the waiting list to be seen is long and so parents decide to buy privately.

On-line prices for new equipment are often very competitive, but can vary so  it is worth browsing the websites of different suppliers 

For both wheelchairs and walkers it is really important that the child is using the correct bit of kit for them and that it is adjusted to their individual needs (e.g. correct wheelchair cushion for their pressure/seating needs etc). Incorrect equipment, poorly adjusted equipment or equipment that the child hasn't been trained to use safely can potentially lead to bad accidents or long-term posture issues. So if a supplier is offering a consultation with an appropriately qualified professional who can advise on these issues it may be better to pay a little more.  

The  Invacare Action 3 Junior self propelling wheelchair is one that is in common use, so pre-used ones regularly get listed on Ebay when their first owners grow out of them. I see there are a couple listed at the moment. Even pre-used they tend to go for about £300, saving in the region of £200 compared to buying a new one.

In my experience Kaye Walkers, of the correct size, can be a little trickier to find pre-used but they do crop up.

Children's mobility equipment is something that some charities are willing to fund.

There is a grant search tool on the Scope website:

Also check out Whizzkidz

Best Wishes
    Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.