Tax credits stopped, now told to apply for universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tax credits stopped, now told to apply for universal credit

Options
mandieclarke
mandieclarke Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited May 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
I tried to change my tax credits from joint to single in  Jan 2017 .to which they were stopped in July 2017 ..I've emailed  wrote and rang ( more times than i can remember )  as was told it was easy to just do change of circumstances  .....finally after visit to job centre I got new tax credits to now been told  that I'm not  entitled   and I have to apply for universal credit    so fed up with this

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @mandieclarke, welcome to the community!

So sorry to hear this, especially after all the trouble you went to. UC is slowly being rolled out so more and more people are likely to be in similar situations. Have you begun the UC application now? Citizens Advice have some good guidance on preparing to apply, which you may find helpful.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Mandie and massive apologies in getting back to you.

Unfortunately, if you're in a 'full service' area (i.e. the UC claims where you live are dealt with online) then this is correct.

Hope the UC is in now. Is there going to be a period for which you are not covered by either Tax Credits or UC? If so, if you have a disability you may be able to apply for backdating for up to one month. If you don't have a disability there is no provision for backdating, but in that instance it may be worth making a complaint to the DWP and asking for compensation.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Mary
    The Benefits Training Co:

• kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    Options
    yep they say that 'any change' in 'any' circumstance means that you come off of old benefits and onto the new which is crazy and what a waste of money the whole stupid 'universal role out' is . I think its unbelievable and this country needs to sort it out quick or stop all fraudsters so that genuine people with illness don't have to go through all of this

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.