How to support my 17 yo daughter? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to support my 17 yo daughter?

mumx5inuk
mumx5inuk Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited May 2018 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi there,

I have mental health difficulties (mostly anxiety and PTSD) and my care coordinator immediately spotted that I am on the spectrum.  I am 57!  So she is putting in a referral to start assessment.  Once she sends in the referral it will be a ONE YEAR wait for assessment.  

OK, more importantly, my dear daughter.  She defines herself as having OCD but I am starting to wonder if she could be on the spectrum and I am desperate for ideas on how I can support her.  She is very bright, has zero social life, has an obsession with girls names (two hours per day on girls names.). She dearly wants friends.  She does not accept that she has any depression or anxiety.  Her reason that she has not finished the past two years of school is because of taking the “wrong" subjects (she let her father choose her A level subjects.). Now there are no colleges willing to take an 18yo on for a third try at AS.  (she is almost 18.)

Every family member says I am “babying” her and blame he/her for lack of progress.  She’s not interested in anything about ASD.  (Her brother was query Asperger’s for a year.)

I feel so alone.  I need to give her confidence in the future, but I am at a loss.

Thank you for reading this far.

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.