If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

ESA Supported Permitted Work

MeezursruleMeezursrule Posts: 1Member Listener
edited May 2018 in Ask an employment advisor

I have personality disorder and problems with anxiety/depression and am interested in working for a well known mental health charity in Leeds.  I currently receive Income Based ESA (Support Group rate) and PIP.  The charity potentially does have people suitably qualified to offer support within the ESA Supported Permitted Work Scheme and they have a vacancy which is 18 hours per week, for work that I have the relevant qualifications and experience to do.  Whilst I work well with formal social interactions (eg working with a service user) I have previously struggled with interpersonal interactions with colleagues and have needed support in that regard.  I don't feel ready right now to work full time without support, but am hoping that with support in a role like this one, I could develop the skills to eventually be able to hold down a full time unsupported role.  I'm also on the waiting list for a course of long term psychotherapy which might also help with this.

The role is 18 hours per week, and the ESA Supported Permitted Work rules state that you can work unlimited hours (provided you are receiving regular support from someone appropriately qualified to offer that support) but that you can earn up to 16 x National Living Wage.  

So my query is:  Does this not fall foul of the National Minimum Wage regulations 2015 (ie, if I'm working 18 hours per week and earning around £125, does that not mean that my hourly rate is below the national living wage??).  Or is it the case that the ESA Supported Permitted Work Scheme is exempt from having to meet the National Minimum Wage requirements?  

With thanks for any advice,



Sign in or join us to comment.