Equipment advice needed for my wife with Parkinsons — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Equipment advice needed for my wife with Parkinsons

desrice
desrice Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi my wife has advanced Parkinson's and is in a nursing home.
She had a fall and broke her femur. she is now recovering. A Sara Stedy is used to move her from bed to chair or loo.
Unfortunately the legs of the Sara stedy cannot go under her recliner chair, nor will the legs spread wide enough to go around the sides, So she cannot use the recliner,
Has anyone any ideas on what piece of equipment might be used

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @desrice Pleased to meet you welcome.

Sorry about your wife. I do not know an answer to your question.

Maybe looking on posts disability aids and equipment could be solutions.

Also our community are here to advise or speak to our help line.

Wish you success in solving your problem

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @desrice

@Jean_Scope can you help at all?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering

Hi @desrice

Welcome to the community.

Thanks to Sam_Scope for inviting me to join this conversation.

Sorry, I'm not going to be able to suggest specific equipment over the internet, there are just too many variables. Also, there is a real risk of injury as a result of using the wrong combination of equipment for the individual person and circumstance.

I can only advise that you request an urgent assessment from an Occupational Therapist (OT) for your wife. The OT will look at the Sara Stedy and determine if another model of stand and transfer aid would be compatible with the chair. Alternatively, would it be better to change the chair.

Whilst a solution is being put in place, if your wife not being able to sit in her chair is impacting on her wellbeing, would it be possible for her to be hoisted into the chair? Many 'big hoists' have wider opening legs.

This will, of course, need to be discussed with the OT and staff at the care home, and appropriately risk assessed but as it is a care home there is likely to be a hoist and hoist trained staff on the premises. However, sometimes sharing hoists between residents isn't allowed in some care homes (for "hygiene reasons") but often it is permissible as long as each person has their own hoist sling.

Best Wishes

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.