Help with splitting up — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with splitting up

Options
mossycow
mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
Hi there,

A friend of mine, who is disabled and fabulous, and unable to look after himself (this is relevant). 

He is married with 3 kids but is seriously considering splitting up with his spouse. 

As their friend, and because he finds it much harder to access the tinternet, I'd appreciate your help in asking what support and frankly where he starts if he decides that splitting up is the write decision. 

His wife is his carer. Can he access support without her there? (I'm disabled an unable to take him etc). 

Where would he live.... How would it work? What rights would he have in terms of his children? 

Is there any free couples therapy out there? 

Would really appreciate anyone who has experience or views on this. Thanks

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @mossycow

What a difficult situation! Has he spoken to his wife about any of this?

There is a lot of info on the CAB website about ending a relationship but your friend may be best to get some advice and support privately.

@PSHEexpert do you have any advice?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @mossycow I am sure there will be some excellent advice.

Many doctor surgeries provide talking therapy with a trained counsellor, can refer their patients and would probably be best aware of what services are available locally. The doctor will talk with your friend, and his partner if she is aware to decide what the best solution would be for them in their circumstances.

Relate was going to be my first response, they do however charge. That said they also provide bursaries where there is genuine financial difficulty, not sure how much this would cover though and would depend on individual circumstances.

I would definately encourage counselling first before worrying about the other stuff. However the scope helpline should be able to give advice if it looks like they will be seperating.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.