Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.


ALFIE27ALFIE27 Member Posts: 4 Listener
edited May 2018 in Universal Credit
Hi i have recently applied for UC am I correct in doing so? I work part time for 10hrs a week. My husband has been out of work since February this year.  But has since suffered a stroke. and is now unable to work. He isn't disabled but is unable to work at the present time. I am worried incase I have applied for wrong benefit


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 20,020 Disability Gamechanger
    If your area is a full Universal Credit are then you this is correct. Do you claim housing benefit also? If so then your housing benefit will also change and become part of the UC payments, called housing element. UC is paid monthly and payments usually take 6 weeks from the time you first apply.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • ALFIE27ALFIE27 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    I have claimed on the gov web site for my husband and i, but it states you must verify your account and id through another company i opted for The Post Office, well now i am completely confuse???? as just dont know what i am doing.
  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Member Posts: 7,732 Disability Gamechanger
    You could try calling the Universal Credit helpline 
    Telephone: 0800 328 5644
    Senior online community officer
Sign in or join us to comment.