Power of attorney — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Power of attorney

Options
sheila01
sheila01 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi,

My daughter is about to turn 18 and it has been recommended that I be given power of attorney to manage her money/ benefits and affairs etc.  

I understand the concept, but don't have a clue about the details.

Would anyone be able to give me some links to begin exploring please?  Should I take legal advice?  I'm completely in uncharted waters here!!!

Many thanks

Sheila

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @shelia01

Welcome & Good Evening.

It’s great to meet you today.

I would be very very happy in helping you with things??

Please please let me how you feel ???
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Shelia01,

Welcome to the community. We have a page on our website about power of attorney that might help?
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @sheila01 and a warm - if slightly delayed - welcome to the community. Sorry it has taken  me a few days, but I've been fumbling about looking for information - I recently signed LPA forms for somebody and wanted to check with them how the forms were obtained.
    Anyway, the crucial thing is probably this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/make-a-lasting-power-of-attorney
    The key thing is that it is the government website and not some lawyer's set-up to make more money for themselves, and it contains pretty much everything you might need to know.
    There is, I believe, a fee payable to register Powers of Authority, but done this way it goes to the required government department without adding anything to some lawyer's bank balance. All I think you need to do is to download the forms you want, in the format you want, complete them and return them. I understand the forms are pretty much self-explanatory.
    Ignore any references to 'Enduring Power of Attorney/EPA' - it's an older system, replaced by the 'Lasting Power/LPA'
    Please let me know if this helps, and don't hesitate to get back to me with any questions.
    Warmest best wishes, and apologies again for the delay,
    Richard
    @JennysDad

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.