It's Volunteer's Week! Thank you to our community champions and advisors!! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

It's Volunteer's Week! Thank you to our community champions and advisors!!

Sam_Alumni
Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
Volunteers’ Week is a chance to say thank you for the fantastic contribution millions of volunteers make across the UK. It takes place 1-7 June every year and is an opportunity to celebrate volunteering in all its diversity.

In 2015, volunteering more than £22.bn to the UK economy. This is about 1.2% of GDP and in 2016/17, 19.8 million (37%) people in the UK volunteered formally at least once a year and 11.9 million (22%) of people did so at least once a month.

The online community has a team of volunteers in our community champions and our community advisors and we are so grateful to the time and energy they give to us, they are a wonderful group and we want to take this time to thank you for all you do.

How do you benefit from volunteering with us?

You will be making a difference to the lives of the UK's 11 million disabled people
Developing your skills and learning new ones.
Gaining up-to-date knowledge of issues affecting disabled people and their families
Valuable experience for your CV
Fulfilment - knowing that your involvement will make a real difference to disabled people and their families

We ask for a commitment of at least one hour a week and are on hand to support you with any questions, if you are interested in finding out more about becoming a community champion, then get in touch at community@scope.org.uk

What do our champions say?

‘For me volunteering was initially about giving something back to a charity that had helped me. As time has gone on I've realised that it's given me a lot of what being unable to work as a teacher in school had taken away: being part of a team, being part of a project that has a common and worthwhile goal. However small my contribution it becomes a part of something bigger and make an impact way beyond I feel able to on my own.  I've met lovely people, been able to set myself small goals and achieve them and on harder days, when I've been unable to do much of anything I have recent achievements to mentally fall back on.’ - @mossycow

‘Being able to contribute as a Community Champion is, for me, hugely empowering.  It’s easy sometimes to focus on the difficulties of living with a disability, but being able to provide support, information, knowledge and experience to others enables me to realise just how much I have progressed and developed since my early days of being disabled. It’s also good to realise that no matter what a person’s disability may be we do have things in common as well as those things that makes each of us unique and special.’ - @roland

Thank you once again to all our online volunteers! You are all awesome!! :)

Scope
Senior online community officer

Comments

• mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Hey hey! I've been a bit unable to volunteer as much recently ... But sometimes do loads. Guess I just wanted to add that I've found Scope to be very understanding of the random and unpredictable nature I have found 'being disabled' to be.

If you're reading this and not sure.... Please do get in touch and give it a go... 

I was hesitant at first... Now wished I'd done this years ago.... 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.