ESA & Higher rate mobility — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA & Higher rate mobility

Options
maymay
maymay Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Hi

I have been trying to help my mum with her benefits and getting in a bit of a mess! I have managed to work out that she receives ESA/SG and also DLA for mobility only. My mum was assessed 5 years ago and hasn't heard anything since, I'm not sure who sent for the assessment but I know that she was originally receiving Incapacity Benefit which was changed to ESA.

Is this right that someone can only receive the mobility part for DLA? She receives the higher allowance too, I am a bit confused as to why she only gets that and not the living part?

Any help you could give would be very much appreciated.

Thank You

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,038 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Yes it's possible to only receive the mobility award, lots of people do. DLA no longer exists and she will eventually be invited to apply for PIP.

For the ESA, i wouldn't worry about it, they'll catch up with her at some point i'm sure. When they do they'll send her another ESA50 form and re-assess her.

DLA/PIP and ESA are totally different benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi maymay,

When a decision is made on a DLA claim, their entitlement to the daily living component and the mobility component is assessed, and you can get either one or both depending on how your health conditions affect you.
    If your health problems have got worse since the last application, you can ask for a review, but as poppy123456 says, you cannot ask for a review of DLA anymore, it would have to be a new claim for PIP, which is paid for the same purpose but has a different criteria. 

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.