Paid Hobbies and Benefits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Paid Hobbies and Benefits

Options
southlass
southlass Community member Posts: 8 Connected
edited June 2018 in Work and employment
Hi all,

I just wanted to throw this out there because it's been floating around my head recently: Lately, I've been wanting to find a hobby to keep myself occupied and use my time constructively. In particular, I want to start a YouTube channel, but I'm afraid that if it becomes even moderately successful, it could sabotage my benefits.

I read that, at least on ESA which is my case, I'm not allowed to work more than 16hrs. per week or earn more than £125 per week. Of course, with YouTube, any income would be wildly unstable, with peaks and troughs depending on viewership. Not something one could depend on or be considered a consistent means of gainful employment.

Nonetheless, I fear that if I want to keep what little stability I have in my life right now, I'm bound to submit to the confines of my disability which is, in itself, a fact that perpetuates the depression I'm trying to fight. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.