EMERGENCY: Cauda Equina Advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

EMERGENCY: Cauda Equina Advice

Options
Waylay
Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
Friend just called me. Her slipped disc suddenly got a lot worse today. Severe back pain, increasing numbness in one leg, starting to lose control of bladder. She's in the hospital, and the docs say she has Cauda Equina (CE). They want to operate tonight. She's alone and on a lot of pain meds, there's a 20% failure rate for the surgery, and she's a dancer, so if she has a bad outcome it would end her career. She wants me to do a bit ofof research and see if there's any other way to treat CE that has good outcomes.

I know a lot about back surgery and bad backs, and as far as I know Cauda Equina due to a slipped disc requires surgery within 24-48 hours or you risk neurological damage. I've already told her that I think she should follow the doctor's advice, but she says she'll feel less anxious if I look around a bit first. 

I'm off to read some journal papers, but if anyone has experience of CE, CE surgery, and/or other treatments fir CE, please let me know?

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.