Help please — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help please

Options
JEL
JEL Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi I'm very new to this. I have been advised to register disabled. Can you still do this? Thanks for listening x

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 68 Listener
    Options
    No you used to 20 years ago and they give you a green card then they stopped it 
  • JEL
    JEL Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    That's what I thought originally but does it depend on your local authority area?
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    In general there is no longer a register of disabled people.

Most companies and other agencies now tend to view a PIP or DLA award as that confirmation.
  • Ethel
    Ethel Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    Although there is no register for disabled people, the Equality Act defines disability. Many organisations e.g. Application for a disabled person's rail card will use PIP, DLA, medical evidence or a GP statement to support an application.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Ethel said:
    Although there is no register for disabled people, the Equality Act defines disability. Many organisations e.g. Application for a disabled person's rail card will use PIP, DLA, medical evidence or a GP statement to support an application. 

I agree but wave a DLA or PIP award at them and they simply accept it. Getting a medical report or evidence is more long winded and can be subjective depending on the contents. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.