trying to get a flat or a bungalow — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

trying to get a flat or a bungalow

AndrewAddis
AndrewAddis Community member Posts: 9 Listener
hi Ian trying to get a flat or a bungalow with two bedrooms from a big three bedroom house and a very large garden as I can't manage it now and because about two years ago I had a wet room put in as at that time I could not get in the bath but I can now so they are being funny about it saying that I have got to have a property with a wet room far as Ian concerned they are penalized me for losing my leg as I wish they would give me a chance thanks

Comments

• AndrewAddis
    AndrewAddis Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    hi having trouble will my landlord as I whant to exchange from a big three bedroom house to two bedroom flat so iam on all one level as Iam disabled they are being very awarkward thanks
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    AndrewAddis, our you renting from a housing asoseation ? What are the problems that your land lord is causing you? Please give more details with out saying names ect and maybe some scope members can give their views opions on your concerns.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Most of the council regulations regarding properties are difficult to deal with. When I moved in to my current property (1 bed semi detatched bungalow) my neighbour was a wonderful lady of 61 and was very helpful. However, she got into a relationship with a gent of 55 and therefore was told she had to move out. These properties are reserved for people over 60 and / or disabled. Personally I think it was a disgusting situation but she was forced to move away. My new neighbour is a gent of 67 who claims disability though he really isn't and only sleeps at home about once a fortnight. He obviously has a relationship with someone and lives there most of the time. What a waste of a property that is so hard to find in this area. I have considered reporting him but don't think I could deal with it or the risk of him finding out. It's such a shame that people abuse the systems in place and make it much more difficult for those that really need help.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • natashaotten43
    natashaotten43 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited June 2018
    THIS MAKES ME SO ANGRY, I BECAME DISABLED IN MAY 2010 FOLLOWING A SPINAL FUSION WHICH MADE MY BACK CONDITION WORSE AND NOW ALSO PERMINENT NERVE DAMAGED,HAVING THIS PROCEDURE HAS RUINED MY QUALITY OF LIFE,I HAD WORKED HARD FOR 22YRS PRIOR THIS BACK OP, I NEVER EVER THOUGHT IT WOULD IMPACT EVERY ASPECT OF MY LIFE,I KNEW SOMETHING WAS WRONG FROM DAY 1 POST OP, (U KNOW UR BODY RIGHT) SO I ENDED UP ASKING FOR 2ND,3RD,4TH OPINIONS,I DETERIATED AND GOT STRUCK OFF WORK INDEFINITLY, AND MY SURGEON WAS ADIMENT HIS 9HR SPINAL FUSION OP WAS A SUCCESS IN HIS OPINION, I'D SAY DIFFERENT AS IT WAS MY BODY, MY LIFE AND HAD GOOD PAIN THRESHOLD,JUST GOT PUT ON MORE MEDICATION AND DISMISSED ??, I WAS IN AGONY, COULDN'T WALK WITHOUT ASSISTANCE, NEEDING A FULL TIME CARER MY PARTNER OF 26YRS WAS NOW NEEDING TO ASSIST ME WITH EVERY ASPECT OF DAILY LIVING, IN 2017 I WENT BACK TO PAIN MANAGEMENT AND DIAGNOSIS OF FAILED  BACK SURGERY SYNDROME, BUT IN 2014 I WENT TO DISABILITY HOUSING PANEL AND WAS BAND 2 MEDICAL PRIORITY, GROUND FLOOR, LEVEL ACCESS THROUGHOUT NO STEPS TO PROPERTY AND WET ROOM,2017 STILL ON 1ST FLOOR, 15 EXTERNAL STEPS THAT I'M NOW UNABLE TO GET UP & DWN, FEB 2017 ASSESSED AS NEEDING A POWERED WHEELCHAIR TO MOBILISE WHICH I NOW USE, IV BEEN IN DOORS NOW FOR OVER A YEAR,IN MEANTIME IV NOW BEEN TO DISABILITY HOUSING PANEL ANOTHER 2X AND HOUSING NEED CAT A,IV HAD 9 GP LETTERS EXPRESSING THE URGENCY OF A MOVE, OT ASSESSMENTS X4 SAYING THE SAME, WHEELCHAIR SERVICES WROTE TO MY HOUSING ASSOCIATION, IV NOW BEEN AT CRISIS POINT AND IGNORED, BEEN HARRASSED, AND SUFFERED VICTIMISATION TO EXTREAME, I'M AWAITING FOR A MENTAL HEALTH ASSESSMENT AS I CAN'T COPE, METROPOLITAN HOUSING ASSOCIATION HAS NEGLECTED MY HEALTH NEEDS, AND NEED SHAMING. 
  • Sharon1980
    Sharon1980 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Top kitten I think that's disgusting. I'm disabled and want a bungalow but as I'm only 37 I won't be considered for many that fall under 'sheltered accommodation' so not only am I disadvantaged due to my disability but I'm disadvantaged because of my age. Not many people seem to recognise this is ageism. It's discrimination. Imagine if there was sheltered accommodation for 'white people only' there'd be uproar but ageism seems to fall under the radar. I've contacted my MP who in turn has written to Liverpool Council. Social housing is a mess,more people need to bring it to the attention of local councillors and MP's
  • natashaotten43
    natashaotten43 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi luv, yeah ur right about ageism,i back up that,i was 34 when my back started getting bad,i went to our MP twice, no joy,when ur told for 8yrs there is no housing available, yeah right LBS is the worst is housing, I wish you all the luck with ur MP. ???
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @AndrewAddis, how are you doing? Any updates on your housing situation?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.