Tribunal decision — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tribunal decision

ally1983
ally1983 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
edited June 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I had my universal credit tribunal today and note 3 states I have limited capability for work, what does this mean? will I be in the group where I prepare to work or not. I’m so confused TIA  uni

Comments

• markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    An award of Universal Credit can include an additional amount if you have limited capability for work due to a health condition or disability. The limited capability for work 'LCW' element is awarded when you are thought to be capable, with support, of preparing for work at some point in the future.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Limited capability for work is same as WRAG for ESA. This means if you claimed UC after April 2017 when the rules changed you will not be paid any extra money for the LCW element. You money will be paid exactly the same as it was before the Tribunal.

If you claimed before April 2017 then you will be paid the LCW element and any back dated money owed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

In terms of what it means to be in the 'Limited Capability for Work' group in a practical sense, you will not be required to look for a job, but may be required in 'work preparation' activities which are deemed suitable to you. This could include having to attend workshops/courses etc.

Key issue is that they should not be asking you to do activities which are specifically unsuitable to you because of your disability.

So you need to comply with the requests to avoid sanction, but also challenge any requests that are not suitable.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.