If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

How does being a student affect benefits

SystemSystem Posts: 378 Scope community team


  • NajedaNajeda Posts: 2Member Listener
    Hello Melanie, hope you are well. Would you be able to advice me please? I am hearing a lot different things regarding disabled student. 
  • melaniethorleymelaniethorley Posts: 73Volunteer community advisor Courageous
    I will do my best to point you in the right direction
  • NajedaNajeda Posts: 2Member Listener
    I have been offered a place at uni as a full time student and with adjustments as I have health issues but I am not sure if this will affect my benefits. I currently receive PIP and income based ESA. Would you know anything about this please?
  • melaniethorleymelaniethorley Posts: 73Volunteer community advisor Courageous

    Good afternoon. Finances are not my area of expertise although there was a discussion about 10 days ago on the scope forum from somebody with a similar query. Although I did not know the specific answers, a number of my colleagues posted some answers. It is on this forum somewhere but you can also check with Disability Rights UK and on the direct gov website.

    general info on disability and higher education can be found on our webpages:


    On this is a link to our transition initiative which you might want to join:


    Hope this helps.

  • northwestmum2northwestmum2 Posts: 52Member Courageous
    My son has 'mild' CP-at college hes allowed 25% extra time in exams,also can have a couple of weeks extra to get it work in- but no other 'real' help-theyre encouraging him to apply for uni-but what help will he get there?im worried what will happen if the workload is too much for him,what then??
  • northwestmum2northwestmum2 Posts: 52Member Courageous
    meant to get IT work in.
  • melaniethorleymelaniethorley Posts: 73Volunteer community advisor Courageous

    Good afternoon northwestmum2. There are a variety of adjustments which your son can access. Also, most courses only require students to be in class for about 16 hours per week and the university year is much shorter than school or college. All disabled and dyslexic students can currently apply for the Disabled Students Allowances which can find equipment and people support. With enough preparation, he should be fine.  this link will take you to my webpages and a link in case he wants to join our transition support:


    I hope this helps


Sign in or join us to comment.