A poem i wrote about people staring at a person that has a disability — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

A poem i wrote about people staring at a person that has a disability

Options
Sarah1984
Sarah1984 Community member Posts: 43 Courageous

Wishing you could go out,
without having someone that will stare.
It may be natural for children to.
I might have a disability, whether or not it is one where i use a wheelchair.
Inside we are all the same.

Parents, teach your children about disability,
i am not saying it's your fault, you are not to blame.
We might have something different about us on the outside,
but we want everyone to look past that and see us as a person like you,
and not to stare. A person that has feelings is there.

(C) Sarah Jackson Bennett 2018

I have a Facebook blog called See the person, not just the condition/disability.   If you use Facebook, you can like my page/blog if you want to.  https://www.facebook.com/mescoliosisdisability/

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this with us, @Sarah1984- I'm sure many of our community members will be able to relate!
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    People and children today are more tolerant and understanding and compassionate towards others of different races and disabilities. I believe children can be cruel by staring and cause their disbelied peer group member to shy away, not take part or want to get involved. For those of us who are disabled but with a normal body we can only imagine what it is or can be like for a child or adult with missing limbs or shorter ones. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.