refused medical priority because i can manage a single flight of stairs ? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

refused medical priority because i can manage a single flight of stairs ?

tryingmybest
tryingmybest Community member Posts: 27 Connected
ive had an OT assement who agrees i need level access in the bathroom but i can have a flight of stairs with 2 handrails. The housing are refusing me medical pref as i can manage stairs and they cannot see why i cant have a bath!!!! Is this discrimination? As i cannot tolerate lifts etc due to my illness thank you 

refused medical priority because i can manage a single flight of stairs ? 2 votes

Yes
50%
tryingmybest 1 vote
No
50%
Gaina 1 vote

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    I can't have a bath, our shower is over the bath just manage the stairs. My OT got me a bath board to enable me to sit on edge of bath swing legs over then stand to shower with grab handles on wall an doing reverse to get out of bath works great s walk in shower would have been nice but this is the cheaper option.
  • tryingmybest
    Yes
    My OT tried bath boards and chairs but i suffer with severe vertigo sometimes with no warning so cannot use them kid of aids :(
  • tryingmybest
    Yes
    Pkease can Anyone help?
  • tryingmybest
    Yes
    @Username_removed thank you for your reply. The issue is that when i go for example to my doctors i cannot tolerate the lift so i have to use the stairs providing they have handrails, i cant have any momentum such as hoist , escalator , lift etc so i have mo option but to use stairs even a stair lift is out of the question. I have a vestibular disorder which is weak middle ear bones and have unprovoked vertigo x
  • tryingmybest
    Yes
    So i guess what i mean is because i cant use aids as lifts etc wouldnt that be discrimination? As im still having bathing problems and shouldnt be denied on them grounds,
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Hi there!
    All this is so frustrating so I feel your pain! 

What would your ideal be? Is this for new housing? 
  • tryingmybest
    Yes
    Hi @mossycow yes im currently in private rent but need major adaptions in the bathroom but council are not willing to give medical preference :,(
  • mossycow
    Do you mind me asking.... When you say you CAN climb the stairs does it align with the PIP and ESA advice that to say you CAN do something you must

Be able to repeat it easily

Do it in reasonable time

Have no pain

Etc...? Like, is it easy for you to pop up the stairs or is it difficult. 

(again apologies for persona l question) 
  • mossycow
    Are you meaning for Disabled Facilities Grant? I don't understand what you mean about medical preference?

(sorry..... I am on a lot of pain meds this afternoon...) 
  • mossycow
    Ah! So sorry! I didn't see that other reply! 
  • mossycow
    So looks to me like the stairs is the best of a bad lot but you DO need a walk in shower.... Hmmmm this is one of those 'doesn't fit the template' situations.... 
  • mossycow
    We had a similar situation and I got an appointment with my OT at my house and talked it through very enthusiastically. They wanted us to move to a bungalow... Anyway.. Long story.... 

But basically if you can geg your OT on side they will be your advocate. 

Have you a good relationship with them? 
  • tryingmybest
    Yes
    Hi @mossycow yes my OT has written to them also but still no luck. No i dont exactly find them easy but they are the best out of everything. So yes level access is essential as i cannot sit in the bath because of the momentum/heat etc 
  • mossycow
    Hmmmmm

I'm stumped.... But doesn't mean you're beat. Have you tried calling the Scope helpline? 

I'd always recommend them. Even if they can't help they may be able to refer you. 

Of to shower now. .. It took over 3 years to get it after chopping away... Chipping away.... I totally understand your frustration. But! I'm hoping the fact that I did eventually get it gives you some hope. 
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Hi @tryingmybest

Sorry to hear that you are struggling to get the provision you feel you need.

The local authority will always go with the cheapest opinion which in they believe meets the person's basic needs. If there is a difference of opinion what your needs are you will need to challenge their assumption with additional evidence.

Personally I can't see that a person's ability to walk up stairs is evidence that they are also able to use a bath. A task analysis of the two activities would show that the functional abilities needed are not identical, therefore there is the potential possibility of being able to perform one and not the other.

This must be a frustrating situation for you and I sure that there must be things that you would rather expand your energy on rather than having to battle the local authority. However, in response to your specific question of "is this discrimination?" my response would be "no" not in the sense of the Equality Act 2010. It is however potentially poor practice and perhaps an example of how their system/process makes broad assumptions (i.e. if you can climb stairs you can climb in the bath) which do not apply to everyone, so hardly in keeping with the personalisation agenda. 

Do try to keep your OT on-side, as her opinion may still prove useful in challenging the local authority. Use the formal complaints procedure if necessary and escalate the complaint as appropriate.

Best Wishes
    Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• tryingmybest
    Yes
    @Jean_Scope thank you for your reply. You are very helpful. My partner has to get in the bathtub with me and hold me up at present and he gets soaked its such an exhausting process 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.