Ask an employment adviser
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

ESA and self-employment

bevpaynebevpayne Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2018 in Ask an employment adviser
hi my daughter is on esa support group .She wants to start her own little business but needs help and support from her dad as he is her carer as she has learning difficulties and does not trust anyone else.How would she go about doing this as it would be self employed work about 14Hrs a week and will she still be able to claim her esa while trialing it?


  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member - under moderation Posts: 4,894 Disability Gamechanger
    You need to read up about ESA and permitted work but prior to that your daughter also needs help from a small business adviser and a welfare rights officer who will look at not just the implications for your daughter but also for anyone on benefits who is assisting her. They will also assess the longer term risk to her ESA as regards whether the work she chooses will eventually suggest she can perform activities which would take her out of the Support Group or out of ESA altogether.

    Either way this is very much a case of act in haste, recent at leisure.
  • Donisha_scopeDonisha_scope Support to Work Posts: 37 Courageous
    edited June 2018
    Hi @bevpayne

    Thank you for your enquiry. 

    I would definitely recommend visiting Scope's work web page, as it gives tons of details on self -employment. 

    It ranges from information on the benefits of self-employment, how to get ready, the pros and cons, reasonable adjustments and how to get help with managing tax and benefits. 

    Kind regards,


    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: [email protected]
Sign in or join us to comment.