Advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice

Options
Globster
Globster Community member, Community Volunteer Host, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 2,374 Disability Gamechanger
Hello
My name is Jay, I have Cerebral Palsy. I struggle to type on my Google Chromebook. I can only type with one finger, which takes me a long time to write for English class. This is very frustrating for me. 
I would appreciate anyone advice and the help of any free programs or extensions  that will make writing easier on my Google Chromebook  

I am a Community Volunteer Host. Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Globster the problem, as I'm sure you know you is the standard keyboard layout, which was designed for use with ten fingers. There are different keyboard layouts and I am aware of one that is specifically for one finger typing called Fitaly.

Image result for fitaly keyboard

The two blank keys are space bars.

The layout is designed to reduce the amount of finger travel and so make it quicker to type

Unfortunately it is not one that translates to a normal keyboard and I have yet to find one that you could plug into a usb port. It is mainly used on touch screen devices. Whether it is possible to adapt a cheap touch screen tablet to act as an input device I have no idea.

There is also a device called Intellikeys which comes with different overlays, and other bundles can be bought with different key layouts. However these type of products can be expensive.

So there are solutions out there, hopefully someone will be able to be guide you towards something that would work for you.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.