Autism and DLA issues — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Autism and DLA issues

sktc78
sktc78 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited June 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi there, 
just thought id introduce myself, im a mum of a young boy who i believe is on theautistic spectrum, i have been in reciept of dla since he was 4 yrs old, he was on the highest rate for the care component and lowest rate mobility... last year they stopped it, i appealled and lost so took it to a tribunal that was heard on the 15th of june... i won the case, and all money is to be backdated from the time it was stopped and to be in place till he is 13 and then can be reveiwed ... ive had letter of the dla, wanting confirmation of my bank details ect, my question is though, does anybody know if the carers allowance that i was entitled to claim during this period is backdated too? or just the dla for my son?
kind regards sian

Comments

• markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    As far as i know carers allowance can be backdated by only 3 months
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sktc78, and a warm welcome to the community!

According to this gov.uk page, you can backdate your Carers Allowance claim by up to 3 months.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,335 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2018
    markyboy said:
    As far as i know carers allowance can be backdated by only 3 months
    In this case that's not true. As long as the other person claims Carers Allowance within 3 months of the Tribunal decision it will be back dated to the original DLA decision, providing the other criteria applied for all of that time.

See page 6 of this link here for proof that this does actually apply.

Copied and pasted from the link above.
    If the person you look after has recently been awarded a qualifying
    benefit you can get CA backdated to the date of the award of the qualifying benefit
    even if this was over three months ago.You must claim CA within 3 months of the award of the qualifying benefit being notified to the person you care for, otherwise you could lose out.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sktc78
    Thank you both... will definitely phone up carers allowance tomorrow and look into it, they should never of stopped our award, so fingers crossed im able to claim back everything that is owing to us, been a very tough year financially and im looking forward to being able to treat my sons!!
  • poppy123456
    Carers Allowance claims can take between 8-12 weeks. Claiming online is quickest way.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • sktc78
    i did phone up today, they said that once his new dla claim is up n running, i will get the carers allowance backdated from the date the judge ordered it from, and they did say that its quicker to do online.
  • kyleamelia07
    kyleamelia07 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    hi I'm about to go to the appeal court for my son who is 11. they have diagnosed him with social anxiety disorder not autism yet. and he has hypermobility which causes lots of pain. did they consider your childs autism without diagnosis . I used to get dla  and they stopped it the same as you 
  • poppy123456
    You don't need a diagnosis for a childs DLA claim. DLA is possible if your child needs more care, attention or supervision than that of a child the same age. Good luck with the Tribunal.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.