Been awarded PIP, but now my ESA has stopped — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Been awarded PIP, but now my ESA has stopped

paula3067
paula3067 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I've just been awarded pip and my esa has stopped is this normal procedure 

Comments

• mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Well, there could be lots of things going on here. I'm not an expert  just wanted to reply as I've had similar experience!

My comments would be that PIP exists so that all people who consider themselves to have a disability or condition can get a little extra money to cover extra costs of being disabled. You can claim this who ever much you do or don't work and how much of little you earn.

ESA exists for people whose disability or condition means they can't work or need support to work. 

So  in your situation, either you receive PIP as you are disabled and the government feel you are ditto work..... 

Or... Something has gone wrong with ESA... 

The 2 benefits are independent of each other. 

Sounds like this is unexpected for ypu and not good..... Hope you're OK? 

But don't panic, this can be sorted out. 

• littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    No this isent normal procedure. Esa carry on or reviewed and denied .hope u can sort 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,922 Disability Gamechanger
    paula3067 said:
    I've just been awarded pip and my esa has stopped is this normal procedure 
    Don't panic is the first thing i'd say. As you've just been awarded PIP it could mean that it's affected your ESA in a good way, so your payments have temporary stopped. No one here can answer that question though, so give ESA a ring and ask. 

Unless you've recently had an assessment for your ESA, they can't find you fit for work without one so that's a good thing.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.