Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

RESPECT

susan48susan48 Member Posts: 2,229 Disability Gamechanger
I just wanted to ask why people can’t show each other respect especially on this site.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion without being made to feel worse about either their situation or themselves.

It makes me angry and upset reading these things, and yes I don’t need to read it, but this should be safe, friendly advice not hostile and disrespectful.

Replies

• littleruthie123littleruthie123 Member Posts: 477 Pioneering
    Exactly my thoughts too .often don't like the whole highligthing people's posts too be told it's wrong all the time .it's deeming like naming and shaming almost .I go on a breach cancer support group ;people are kind and empathetic too each other nothing like on here .feel like your being told off for having an opinion .it's such a shame .too many chiefs competing at each other all the time too .it's a shame!
  • fishingmumfishingmum Member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    well said @susan48
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • GeoarkGeoark Community champion, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,292 Disability Gamechanger
    In general I would agree wholeheartedly with you. I would rather be here answering questions, supporting people or just generally encouraging people.

However when people are offering opinion as facts, dismissing other peoples disabilities or generally being rude to others than I do believe they should be challenged.

I have never had a problem recommending this site to others until recently and have recently signposted other resources rather than here.  Having been told to **** off or that some members here are fed up of with 'individuals with filled with self importance who want to cherry pick the 'perks' of disability at the expense of those with real disabilities that have been robustly proven with medical evidence and PIP' why would I want to expose potentially vulnerable people to such a toxic atmosphere?

At the same time I do appreciate that a forum like this one with a wide range of disabilities and experiences that discussions are occasionally going to become heated and passionate by some.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

I think people can end up feeling confused on the answers given when asking for help. And advise it's often conflicting and seems too feel like a debate .and the person asking for help is left feeling confused .I personally find highlighting people comments demeaning. And being told you wrong 

g etc seems too overtake the problem .lengthy text type answers are not helpful at times and unclear .😢.
  • TopkittenTopkitten Member Posts: 1,258 Pioneering
    One important point I should make here first. Respect is earned, not given. People earn it through their actions and statements but I appreciate that for some with certain difficulties it is much harder than most. When I recognise this I tend to avoid replying to their statements as my replies tend to be complex and long-winded and I would not want them to feel put down or that I was being supercilious.

Personally I have become over-critical lately, an unfortunate side-effect of the situation I currently find myself in. In general I try not to disrespect others and do not expect special treatment because of my troubles. However, I almost never take exception to replies aimed back at me in response and am quite prepared to back down and apologise if I am wrong or at least refrain from responding until I am in a better frame of mind. However, I also feel I am able to justify my comments if they are correct. I do expect though to be able to have the occasional rant.in my own posts that I start and do not expect, as happened before, to be sanctioned for simply upsetting someone by what I type. If it's my post I reserve the right to post what I like within the limits of the forum rules. If people do not like it they are free to either respond or to ignore the post completely.

One thing though that does upset me greatly is when others compare their issues to mine incorrectly. I have spent a great deal of time and effort to discover any other case even closely resembling mine and there are simply no cases like it on the internet. The Pain Clinic I attended for 5 years had never heard of it nor had 6 or 7 other PC's around the country they contacted to hopefully find guidelines to follow. It may sound odd me stating this but time after time in f2f conversations people do compare their issues to mine and I find it hard to not be rude when they state that their much less severe condition makes it impossible for them to walk when I am able to. I know that sounds arrogant but it also happens to be true.

I am very intelligent with a high IQ and have extensive knowledge both generally and especially with my condition and the medication I do and have used. I always investigate anything new I am prescribed before I use it, for example. If I quote facts and figures about certain medications then, if you care to check, I am quite prepared to explain where I got the information. I never use individual sources, as has been used against my statements before, but research further into a number of articles or sites.

I apologise if I have wandered off the topic a little but it's something I cannot seem to control properly at the moment.
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • susan48susan48 Member Posts: 2,229 Disability Gamechanger
    I do agree @Topkitten that respect is earned not a given.

My point was for everyone to treat each other as we wish to be treated ourselves.

Many times its the way we respond, what we type or say that’s in question. 

People react and take things in different ways so maybe people need to be mindful of this.

Very politely put @susan48 and, as I said, I do try to avoid replying to some posts as I would find it difficult to sympathise or empathise with them. I just tend to give factual information. Unfortunately, like now, I do find it difficult to limit my responses to simple statements. One of the problems with thinking too much, I believe. Although I will say that I tend to write things open to interpretation and often go round the houses to try to clarify what I mean.

I'll shut up now, lol!

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
    @Topkitten, it’s not often I am told I was trying to be polite lol.
    I also think too much or read into things too much, to the point it’s detrimental to my MH.

I know exactly what you mean @susan48. I constantly worry over the simplest things or over complicate answers to simple questions. I am told that overthinking is normal for someone suffering Chronic Pain but I find nothing normal about it. That along with Severe Depression and Agoraphobia had led to Panic Attacks and Anxiety and I am no longer able distinguish the lines separating one from another. I have often made things so complex that people trying to offer me treatment have found it impossible to find anything suitable for me. I know I shouldn't do it and I even find myself thinking "I shouldn't be doing / saying this" but I do so anyway. I have always been OCD and that also has become worse and people simply cannot get answers all the questions I need answering especially when it comes to MH issues which seem to be a bit undefined from the start for most people.

Anyway, I am rambling again.

Enjoy your day.

TK
  • debbiedo49debbiedo49 Member Posts: 2,906 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m an over thinker and can easily misinterpret the written word on forums like this. What I like about this site is the majority is supportive, caring and helpful to people who are looking for it. I think it’s better for me personally to avoid seemingly heated or rude situations on here and they generally fizzle out quickly. Also I like that admin will step in if asked to or if you ask them to. My motto is Stop, Think, Breathe then Action. I try to do that so I don’t just react to things immediately and possibly wrongly. We all get it wrong sometimes and it’s very emotive topics we are dealing with at times. Just be kind to each other. 
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    I am a fibro warrior !💜♏️
    @debbiedo49, perfectly summed up 
  • sam66sam66 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    As most of us are in constant pain, what comes with this is moods like we never had when healthy.  I can feel bitter, angry, regret in family & friends that didnt help me or they have disapeared. The constant battle with pain & the system making pain worse with stress. I am sure I am not alone, in thinking this. The life I had before the Hospital wrecked my body. The life I have now is not great, but it's all I have. We have a lot of time to brood about things & that in itself can be self destructive. I now have different friends who understand me. I have different hobbies that cater for my disability. Forums like this are invaluable, so thank you to all who contribute.
    @sam66, I’m sure most of us feel the same.

If difficult everyday and I also have mood swing that even I don’t understand.

Overthinking is self destructive but I’m sure I’m not alone in its very hard no too.

Take care 
  • bevt2017bevt2017 Member Posts: 353 Pioneering
    Hi @susan48

I totally agree!
    Very true Sam good post x
    @thespiceman, that was a fabulous post.

Take care x
  • WaylayWaylay Member Posts: 888 Pioneering
    @thespiceman I apologise again for my poorly-written, rushed post the other day. I really didn't mean to upset you! Sorry!
    I miss Victoriad and if you pop in here from time to time just to see how people are getting on, there are people who certainly respected you and your opinion.

I find it sad that people can be so dismissive of others point of view, disabilities and feeling greatly differ from person to person as life does, therfore changes our views on what seems similar subjects. Trust is similar to respect, it does have to be earned, hence when you disrespect people, people also lose trust in your opinions and thoughts.

If I can help I will, but I have limited patience for people who are rude and disresepctful. it may sound harsh but in my "real world" life I have a 1 strike and you are out of my life policy. I understand how short life is, even if I live to be 100 in the grand scheme of things it is a blink of an eye. I do not have time to waste on people who are harmful and hurtful. There is far too much pain and despair in this world and I do not want to contribute to it, I would rather smile through pain and adversity than make someone else frown. We all have things in our life, it does not give anyone a right to make someone elses life more of a misery because they are hurting. You have a choice, too many people live in the past and take it out on others when they could be making friends with that person instead. Life is too short, make the most of the one you have.
    Again today there is negative and hostility on this site.

Please please think about others feelings and situations before judging them on your experience or feelings.

Everyone’s human 
    Hi @susan48

Not again! 

We get enough from society, we don't need to turn on each other.

• feirfeir Member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    Forums tend to attract strongly opinionated people who like to say things that most people don't care to hear or listen to and irl the people they're talking to would just walk off and not give them the time of day but a forum gives them a space where people are forced to listen and may even be tempted to reply.
    I think on a site like this one (that is for support) then some types of people are unnecessary and can make it an unpleasant experience for people already going through a hard time who don't need confrontation or to be questioned about why they feel they need the support they are asking for, invalidating people is a type of covert abuse as well so that's important to consider.

People need to understand that their opinion means nothing to anyone but themselves and that advice can be asked for and given but doesn't have to be followed. Make an opinion topic on any forums and it will fill up fast because people love giving them, same with advice because people love helping. Not everyone is good at either.

There is a difference between debating and arguing also, debate needs people to listen to each other and work together whereas arguing tends to be because at least one person is not listening and is usually trying to control another person instead, this is disrespectful and shows a lack of care for the person they are trying to control and reveals some issue with the controller themselves.

I keep to myself on here mostly but am thankful i've had some good advice. And if i try to give advice or my opinion i know it doesn't matter because whoever i am talking to is not me and has their own schema(ta) so it might not be a suitable option for them or not even make sense to them. If i want to understand something i can ask and would do that so nobody needs to force it onto me and i won't do the same to them, they can ask me to elaborate if they want.

• whistleswhistles Member Posts: 1,603 Disability Gamechanger
    susan48 said:
    Again today there is negative and hostility on this site.

Please please think about others feelings and situations before judging them on your experience or feelings.

Everyone’s human 
    Which is why I am not bothering with the forum anymore.
    It doesn't feel like a supportive community.
    I got fed up with hostility.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello my friend @whistles All I can say am sorry about this. 

All I can say you could if you wish to Private Message me anytime if that helps.

I know I have been aware of some of the comments that have been posted regarding your good self.

Understand I have been trying much as I can to keep up with any posts that breach rules we have on this forum.  I am sure the community team have been doing the same thing.  I know they have.

The time I have and am trying my best as a community champion to see and identify any posts that need flagged up for moderators to check. Plus with so many discussions this is not easy some times. I apologise very much.

Very nice to have met you.

Wish you the best what ever you do.

@thespiceman  
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

It's such a shame when people leave scope 😯
    Especially when you start to build a friendship with them.
    I always talk to @thespiceman in private, even it's just me moaning about my problems 😉
    He's a good listener, and now a good friend.
    Bev x
    Apologies if I am repeating myself or covering something already clearly stated, unfortunately some days I simply cannot concentrate well enough to fully understand long posts. Odd thing for me to say considering the average length of my pwn posts, lol!

It should be remembered that even a simple word like "respect" can mean different things to different people or have a different interpretation.

Everyone here has the right to post whatever they wish so long as forum rules are not violated. If, as sometimes happens, some object to the content then they should take one of a few actions. Skip the post and any replies, post a respectful counter comment or ignore that person completely either by actions or by flags. The same thing should apply to responses also but it should be noted that to rant on someone else's thread is not being respectful, no matter how strongly the feelings run.

It is never respectful to try to impose a persons thinking on others, to "flame" a post or reply or to derail the thread. Quite a few here find it difficult to always remain "on topic" and I often find myself rambling for which I usually apologise. However, it is also possible that persons understanding of a thread or the subject of that thread is actually different to the original post because their life and background gives them a different understanding. These cases are always unintentional as such and so should perhaps be given some respect also. It should also be remembered when reading posts that sometimes we need to have a rant to get something off the chest, usually about something strongly felt. Whilst we should preserve rants to our own posts it, like life generally, doesn't always go to plan.

One other point I would also like to make is this. Due again to age, background and experiences we all have different viewpoints to the world and sometimes we have facts that run counter to comments. It is sometimes difficult to see the intent and thoughts behind others posts and I would like to give an example of this that has frequently happened to me which is not strictly on topic but used as an example and I am very fond of using examples to illustrate the points I am trying to make, lol!

Very often, when I try to explain what is wrong with me, I go into lengthy explanations of the spinal issues that have led to my physical problems. However, part way through I often find people often "switch off" and basically stop listening. In f2f meetings I can see this start to happen because I am quite good at reading others body and facial languages and I can almost start their first following sentence off for them. It always begins with "I can understand how you feel because I get bad back problems too.....". Unfortunately I now have had this happen so many times I usually respond badly. Bad backs are usually muscle related or sciatica or slipped discs. Whilst I suffer sciatica regularly and my pain can be compared directly to slipped discs there is one great and massive difference. I do not have a bad back and I get almost zero "bad backs". My pain is almost always neural and to compare muscular pain to neural pain is like saying a headache and a migraine are the same thing when obviously they are not. I get the same feeling when people describe taking their strong medication for the problem which usually turns out to be Cocodamol when I only used that for the first 2-3 years and am now on the maximum dosage prescribed under NHS guidelines for the strongest painkiller (Fentanyl) also prescribed under NHS guidelines. There is really no comparison between these extremes as Cocodamol is a mixture of Paracetamol (1/360 strength) and Codeine (1/10 strength) whereas Fentanyl is 50-100 times as strong as Oral Morphine (which is what everything is compared to). There are 5 others medications which are not equated to Morphine because although they are used to treat neural pain they are not pain killers as such. These are Amitryptylene, Nortryptylene, Gebapentin, Pregabalin and Duloxatine and they fall somewhere between Codeine and Oramorph. I am currently on 2 of them and have tried all 5 so this information is factual.

It in no way is it meant to tell people that their pain is inconsequential though, at least not in my case anyway. I am sure that to the people that feel that pain it may well be the worst pain they have ever felt. It is just difficult sometimes to attach similar importance when a person knows that it really could be so much worse. In fact, when I post such things as this, I am hoping that they might realise that at least in some ways they are lucky in that it isn't worse even if they feel it couldn't be.

Like now I am afraid I do get a bit sidetracked when I try to use examples and have done so unintentionally here. I do not do this to disrespect others and especially not the original poster it's just the only way I know to explain things sometimes and also to explain how sometimes deeply felt and understood knowledge can lead people astray however good their intentions. This is something we should always consider before responding to others but I guess, like most people, having typed so much we would all be loath to delete it all and start over.

I will now sit back and wait for the firing squad to knock on the door, lol!

TK
    edited July 2018
    @Topkitten, no firing squad from me, I understand people have strong opinions and things may get sidetracked but my only point was that we all have feeling and maybe certain people should try and remember  that instead of the blunt, insensitive comments on threads.

I to digress often so I understand completely.

I often over share too, but that’s another story lol
    Reposting this because of all the negative and rude comments recently.
    susan48 said:
    I just wanted to ask why people can’t show each other respect especially on this site.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion without being made to feel worse about either their situation or themselves.

It makes me angry and upset reading these things, and yes I don’t need to read it, but this should be safe, friendly advice not hostile and disrespectful.

Hello @susan48 Understand the need to say this. I have been scrutinising all posts much as I can be.  In my role as community champion.

For any issues and problems. I wonder what else. Can be done.

Have flagged some up much as I can do.  Any that need to be looked at. Through the time I have been spending on the forum.

I worry all the time that good people . Like yourself may disappear an important member of the community. Who has contributed to so many posts. Given practical sensible advice.

Hope and pray that does not happen.

Take care 

Your friend

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
    @thespiceman, a warm thank you for your dedication to this site.

I know you are doing the very best.

It seems to come in spates but hopefully will pass, maybe it’s the weather  :)

I personally have had a few days time out from the site, maybe some others need that too.

Again thanks from us all for all the work you and the others do  <3
    @JessAnn, exactly, we are all on here for a reason 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    who are the mods on site as i note two who correct everyone on their posts have made no comment on this thread  are they moderaters??

edited August 2018
    susan48 said:
    susan48 said:
    and that reason is why most will not agree we each have a different time with claims or the result most find that we are honest and do as asked but then get stitched up by reports we feel written wrong hence we seek advice from these sites we do not seek to be told we are wrong as the posters do not know if we are or not only we know how things went ??dwp or other bodys would never admit wrong doing so we moan on here maybe it is better if we did not seek advice but just suffer
    @sweet, we are entitled to our own opinion i was just asking people to think of other before posting. Being respectful of others isn’t too much to ask.

We all need to vent our frustrations, anger about things and it’s good to get things off your chest, it’s better to have a vent than bottle things up inside.

Take Care
    @susan48 maybe an idea, but we could start off by stating "this is a vent" or "I just need positive support" at the top of the comment to show the level of need we might have at the time so others understand and could then be more respectful.

Sometimes it is difficult for others to interpret how we are meaning to come across. I know there are words and phrases I would use in daily life with those living around me, but if I were to use it online it would come across so different to people from other areas. Also sarcasm, I find I use it alot, but online it looks different to how I would sound if saying to someone in the room who could clearly distinguish the difference.

Is there a sarcastic emoji? I think I might need it lol

Take care
    @fishingmum, that’s a great idea.

i do agree that typing, like txting etc can be taken out of context.

sarcastic emoji 🤔 had a look and can’t see one. The one I use most is 🙄 lol

Have a good day
    I did try using the "this is a vent" option some months ago and unfortunately the thread got a little sidetracked and one poster in particular took severe umbrage at my comments. I was very unhappy how the moderators handled it and resolved not to come back. Though I didn't for some time I did need to look up some information regarding the DLA to PIP transfer and this has led to my posting again albeit less so and with more care than before. I am afraid that, if certain subjects are posted, there will always be those that cannot "look away" and instead apply their own values to someone else.

TK
    edited August 2018
    @Topkitten, glad to have you back.

Iv just read another post, in which I did comment about the negativity, and more comments where made but I’m definitely not getting dragged into an online ******* competition. Excuse the phrase. 

Hope your ok 
    Thank you for asking @susan48 but as things are generally bad and I am not adapting well at the moment it's probably best if I avoid answering that particular question right now, lol!

TK
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Member Posts: 5,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sweet, you can find out more about the community team here but generally speaking, look for 'Scope' in their username!
    Hello @sweet   Pleased to meet you .

In reply to your question if you have a look at the community guide . That tells you advice regarding posts and what to put on. What you cannot say or add.

Moderators are SCOPE staff. As you have seen.  There names around the forum.

I was asked to be one of the Community Champions. Which is a role involving greets and meets welcoming new members.  On to the forum. Answering what queries, questions I can do.

Also flagging up posts that do not confirm to SCOPE rules.

Please if you think a post is not conforming to SCOPE rules and guidelines. Please flag it up.  Understand the need for respect.

I am on here all the time well much as I can be. We want the forum to be a happy positive and safe place.

I have been on here a year gone and love my community. Hate being outside in the society who does not care about us.

Here we can support each other, be supportive with kindness, sensitivity I hope .

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
    Hello @sweet   Pleased to meet you .

In reply to your question if you have a look at the community guide . That tells you advice regarding posts and what to put on. What you cannot say or add.

Moderators are SCOPE staff. As you have seen.  There names around the forum.

I was asked to be one of the Community Champions. Which is a role involving greets and meets welcoming new members.  On to the forum. Answering what queries, questions I can do.

Also flagging up posts that do not confirm to SCOPE rules.

Please if you think a post is not conforming to SCOPE rules and guidelines. Please flag it up.  Understand the need for respect.

I am on here all the time well much as I can be. We want the forum to be a happy positive and safe place.

I have been on here a year gone and love my community. Hate being outside in the society who does not care about us.

Here we can support each other, be supportive with kindness, sensitivity I hope .

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care

@thespiceman
    thank [email protected] i have noted you and your good advice to others

Hi @susan48

I've not been on for a while.
    Doesn't surprise me unfortunately.

Hope your well 😊

I couldn't have put it better myself @thespiceman 😊
    Thank you for all your support and kind words.

Take care 
    @bevt2017, it’s sad really.

Im doing ok and hope you are too.

@susan48 just been informed that the rolling eye emoji is the closest to sarcasm they can get, but I don't know how to do that lol
    🙄 it’s on my iPad so not sure how you do it either lol
    I am on a computer so can only access the little box above the comment section and there are not many to choose from. never mind I will think of a way maybe *sarcasm alert* will have to be typed in hahaha
    Is there not something before my post, I put in an eye rolling emoji? 
    If not the sarcasm alert sounds great lol 
    Is that what that one is? it looks like someone pulling an oh really face but I don't know how to copy it lol, will have to wait till my children come back so I can find out lol.
     :) 
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
  • AlisonNettyAlisonNetty Member Posts: 118 Pioneering
    It's just a shame that people can't nice to one another, there is too much nastiness in this world. I have depression and I take things to heart so I get upset really quickly, I hate it being like this. I'm on all sorts of tablets for my ailments. and I'm sure my anti-depression isn't working. Being nice to one another doesn't hurt you... and it makes the other person feel worth while. 
    Hello @AlisonNetty Well said.  I agree totally with what you are saying.  As part of this community never understand why it is we can all be polite, kind and be supportive.

Every body has a view and opinion yet we are in a need to agree to respect that person who has said it.

Even though may find it difficult to understand.  May not be in agreement and feel need to express.

Have and do not understand any one being nasty and harsh.

Please can I ask how are you coping with your mental health?. Is there any thing I can do or advise or suggest.?

I just have anxiety and depression and do know it is a struggle.

Always here anytime.

One of the aspects of my mental health is to put into place things I like. Give me some sunshine if I can from the misery of my issues.  Hope to lift my moods and give me some relief.

I use coping strategies and methods learnt from enrolling from my time with being in mental health charities.

Have look on line.

Something to consider. Does help and they can advise on medication as well.  Among other things they can deal with like sleep and diet plus looking at ways to have an equal balance of your illness.

Medication does take some time and I would always suggest speak to your Doctor.  Understand that and had to up the dose.

Used a lot of the time being on here supporting those like yourself.

Being educated and learning what effects you mentally and physically is important to know who and how to cope.  Even to the point got health qualifications after thinking about what effects me.

Got sorted with addiction, diet and other aspects of my life.

Use diaries and planner make coping boxes. Use a corner of my room I am in . Have things that help. Favourite poems, books and pieces of music.  Radio Classic FM.

Plus my favourite recipes and foods in store.

It is never easy day to day and I have bad days like every body else. Regardless of how much I try to deal with it.

Over the years there is never one true answer to the mental health issues but what there is ways to ease the problems and issues . Of mental health.

I hope that helps and gives you reassurance. You are not alone.  Want to talk always here ready to listen anytime.

Please take care and pleasure to meet you.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
    I hate it whenever I get angry on here as I too view this as a safe haven 
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Sign in or join us to comment.