School issues and ASD — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

School issues and ASD

Options
Elayne
Elayne Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited July 2018 in Autism and neurodiversity
My son who has autism attends a mainstream school it is now compulsory for him to do PE which he hates because it is so unstructured and he gets bullied. He is very active out of school but is there a clause that autistic children can be excluded due to the anxiety it causes.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hi @Elayne, thanks for sharing this with us- it must be really tough on your son.

I'm unsure about how to resolve this myself, so it might be best to speak to the NAS Autism Helpline. They're also likely to have a better insight into current guidelines and what you can do to help. Here are the helpline details:

By phone

0808 800 4104

Monday-Thursday 10am - 4pm
    Friday 9am - 3pm

We receive over 80,000 enquiries a year, so there are times when our phone lines get very busy and you may not be able to get through immediately. When an adviser is available to take calls we aim to answer within 60 seconds. You will be held in a queuing system when advisers are on calls and put through when the next adviser becomes available. Due to the nature and length of some calls, our response time may increase.

If you are unable to get through, it is because our advisers are busy answering calls, so please try again later or alternatively use our online enquiry form.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.