Unexpected letter- "we need to look at your claim" — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Unexpected letter- "we need to look at your claim"

Options
JamesG
JamesG Community member Posts: 7 Connected
Hello there. I received an unexpected letter yesterday, it titled "we need to look at your claim"

It states "we need to decide if you might be eligible for income-related esa from the date 05 November 2013" and "if you're eligible you may be entitled to extra payments, these are called premiums" 

It further down states I won't be eligible between date above and now if 

*I've had or have a partner who's worked more than 24hrs a week, 
*I've had or has saving over £16k
*if I've had or have a partner and their or our combined savings add upto over £16k

I have been in receipt of ESA since I'm guessing around that date, I was awarded contribution based esa aswell as care group status. I've been receiving around £112 a week accordingly.

I am registered blind and my DLA was switched to PIP on the 6th of Jan, where I was awarded enhanced for both parts. 

I live on my own, am single and this is what is concerning me over this random unexpected letter and especially as it questions so far back. Is it a standard letter they send out after being awarded ESA for 5 years, or a letter that they'd send out some months after switching from DLA to PIP and finally why does it talk about income based ESA and not contribution based, as that is what I've been entitled to? 

Thank you for your help and apologies if I'm just getting worried over nothing 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,006 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Some people that were transferred from Incapacity benefit to ESA were never paid any of the premiums on top of ESA. This is because they were automatically placed on Contribution based ESA. DWP admitted the error a few months ago and are contacting all those it could have affected. This means that it sounds like you're owed some money, because you don't live with a partner that works and Income related top ups are based on household income.  but DWP are only currently only paying from October 2014.

Enhanced disability premium is £16.40 extra on top of your ESA per week.
    There's also another premium that you may qualify for call severe disability premium. Does anyone claim Carers Allowance for looking after you? If not and because you live alone you will be eligible for this extra premium of £64.30 per week on top of your ESA.

The 2 premiums added together give a total ESA Income related amount of approximately £189 per week.

You'll need to fill out the form that you've received so they can asses you for the Income related top ( no face 2 face needed) Once this is done you'll be able to make a separate claim for the Severe disability premium.

Relax there's nothing to worry about, for you its good news.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JamesG
    Options
    Thank you for your quick reply.

I currently do not have anyone claiming carers allowance for me as everyone that does lend a hand also works full time, I am living alone though yes.

According to 1 esa letter which I can find dated Jan 2015 I recive(d) per week

Living expenses = £73
    Support group = £36
    Top up from IB = £2.75

Total £112.05

So you're saying they'll be wanting to switch me from contribute based to income based, which that enables me to claim extra premiums on top and also I should be due a backdated claim?

Thank you again for all the help 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,006 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It will be an Income related top up of both premiums yes. You'll still receive Contribution based.

Yes you'll receive back dated money for the premiums. The form you received must be filled in to assess your Income before the premiums are paid.

The Severe disability premium (SDP) of £64 per week needs to be claimed separately once the other premium is added. You'll need to ring ESA and ask them to send you the IS10 form for the SDP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JamesG
    Options
    Thank you so much 
  • prettypetal
    prettypetal Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    I have been rolling this through my mind all day. I got the exact same letter. So I called as I was curious as to the DWP owning up to a mistake. As Poppy says is exactly what I was told on the form. Once you talk to them on the phone, they can either fill out the claim for backdating there and then which can take up to an hour. Or send it out for you to fill in. Think she says 4 weeks it has to be handed back in by. Thanks Poppy for the info on SDP as I wasn't sure how I would negotiate how to handle it. So glad for this community here. ?
  • AndyP
    AndyP Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    My god I have received the exact same letter and am so paranoid about Dwp I sensed a trap. Not that there is anything I'm doing wrong I hasten to add but just hate dealing with them. So glad I read this post.... Maybe I'll phone them now rather than just panic. 
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @AndyP, looks like you’v nothing to worry about, call then so as you know and hopefully it’s an unexpected backdated entitlement.
  • prettypetal
    prettypetal Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    it's a backdated amount we are owed from a mistake made to 200 thousand claimants. From October 2014 to present day. So I've calculated just shy of £3000. Also once you get the backdated money you can apply for Severe Disablement and that's about £65 a week. So if that's backdated to the same date October 2014 then it's more like 10 grand ! This is only my estimate which might not be accurate. I've sent the form back today. 
  • JamesG
    Options
    I missed my phone call yesterday. Tried calling them at 8am to get this ball started, to only be told to just wait for another call or further letter to turn up.

After reading other similar posts I'm a little confused on one matter. Does anyone know if they'll be holding off, from paying any money once they've received a completed new application? 

I hope not as a minimum of 4 weeks only living on my PIP and living on my own really will be difficult for sure 
  • al1b0y13
    al1b0y13 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Options
    i dont believe for a second this was a mistake.the dwp/dole/dss/dhss whatever they have called themselves,their official policy is not to tell you what you are entitled to i know this for a fact.it came straight from the horses mouth.let me ask all of you this.if it was brought to their attention in 2011/12/13/and has been ignored for years,only after an onslaught of queries from their own staff.citizens advice.welfare orgs etc.why did they not deal with it straight away.then invent some ludicrous legal loophole to try and keep back a large chunk of it.why are there huge telephone directory size"benefits bibles"held by advice givers on what you are entitled to?why is it you never get a straight answer?why deem someone clearly incapable of work"fit"?why underpay?this was no mistake,they are only addressing it because they cant beat the law.
  • al1b0y13
    al1b0y13 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Options
  • AndyP
    Options
    Just wondering, in light of this, does anyone know how long it takes DWP to pull their finger out and make the payments?? 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Options
    They estimate 12 weeks I think AndyP but it's a bit of a lottery - some people are paid much quicker, for example. 

Gill_Scope
  • AndyP
    Options
    Thanks Gill. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You're welcome AndyP
  • AndyP
    Options
    Well I actually got the letter today saying they've paid me what they owe. Not in the account yet but its in black and white... 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Great. Glad to hear it. Thanks for letting us know. 

Gill_Scope
  • chants
    chants Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Ahh I looked back and in 2014 they paid me £342 for 5 payments as opposed to £115. A week. So I guess they caught me up. Hopefully for all the years I was claiming Esa contribution based. I think it amounted to just over 1K payout. As I can’t remember why they paid me so much for 5 payments. 
  • tommyb
    tommyb Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I recently returned the form that dates mines back to 2012. The bit that's confusing me is do they only contact you if you're eligible ? I'm also reading about people who have carers as I do does this mean returning the form is a waste of time. It only says you're not eligible if you have 16k of savings or if your partner worked no mention of carers allowance. It's quite confusing.
  • AndyP
    Options
    Not sure if they contact you if you're ineligible. If it was me, I would wait a few weeks then, if I've heard nothing, phone them up  

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.