Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

Do I have to pay rent if my carer receives Carers Allowance?

joloujolou Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2018 in Carer's allowance
Hi can anyone advise me please I receive pip and recently my carer as applied for ca since I’ve been told that I would have to pay rent and ct if she receives this ? Is this true? Thanks

Replies

• markyboymarkyboy Member Posts: 374 Pioneering
    Yes if you are both claiming housing benefit and council tax reduction as a joint claim your carers allowance is classed as income so you could end up receiving less housing benefit and be liable for more council tax
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member - under moderation Posts: 4,897 Disability Gamechanger
    What’s being alluded to here is the SDP, which would be part of your means-tested benefits if you lived alone and got PIP DL. Getting those means-tested benefits triggers help with 100% of your eligible rent and CT (not the same as 100%). 

If you get SDP then a carer claiming CA will lose you the SDP. That may or not mean you lose the means-tested benefit. Depends on how much you’re currently getting. If you lose the means-tested benefit as a result of losing SDP you will still get some help with HB and CTR but no longer 100% of the eligible amounts.
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Member Posts: 5,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @jolou! I hope the above answers your questions- if we can be of any further assistance, do let us know.
Sign in or join us to comment.