Help with Universal Credits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with Universal Credits

SPH1971
SPH1971 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited July 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Can someone help me please .. 
I'm currently under investigation for fibernaralga and MS 
I've a sick note till Sept.  
I've also bad deprestion though been in pain not knowing what's wrong and I'm under mental health team as I'm not sure I want to live if my life is tonight be like this . I am down as I need to be fully active for work on UC 
I got look for work I get function at the min yesterday she said my money will stop if I don't.  I've filled in an assement form for how my illness effects me but no reply yet 
Please I need advice she was so rude and when I said my friend has been caring for me ( I've known this person 4 weeks and he is 61 and I don't know what I'd do without him ) she said friends don't charge for looking after you .. And fill in my work search 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SPH1971 welcome to the community and thank you for taking the time to share your story with us all. There are discussion boards on universal credits and mental health which you may find particularly interesting!
    Scope

• SPH1971
    Thankyou very much chloe 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

SPH1971
    SPH1971,

Whilst you are handing in sick notes it is up to your work coach to decide what you have to do to get Universal Credit, unfortunately. For the first 14 days, you shouldn't have to do anything, but after that it is at their discretion. The form you have filled out could be a UC50 form - if you've sent that off, then you may get a result from the form, or you may be referred for a medical assessment (face to face). If you haven't filled out the UC50 yet, then you should be sent it by the time you've given in sick notes for 28 days - ask about it if you haven't had it by then.

Whilst you are claiming UC and waiting for the assessment, the work coach should make sure anything they ask you to do is reasonable based on your circumstances. Because they are doing the opposite at the moment, I think it is worth making a complaint but if possible, try to get help to do this. I don't know if you have signed a claimant commitment, but if you have, and you think it is unreasonable, say that you want it to be reconsidered. At the very least, you should be able to say whether you could look for part-time work, or need to alter the type of work you look for, or how much travelling you should have to do. You shouldn't be put under pressure to do something which could make you worse.

They've already seen your sick note. You could explain further that the stress of being told you have to fully look for work is causing you to think about self-harm and they absolutely need to change your work-related requirements. If they don't they are in breach of the Equality Act 2010. They have a responsibility towards you as a vulnerable person.

You could ask them to consult their complex needs guidance and remind them that you are someone who needs support. Whether or not you pay a carer really isn't relevant, you are a person who has care needs and that is what matters.

If possible try to get advice locally from a Citizens Advice Bureau. They could contact the local partnership manager on your behalf. This sort of thing shouldn't be happening. Universal Credit are supposed to have a complex needs plan in each area and should avoid putting extra pressure on disabled people. 

There's more information here about asking to change your claimant commitment. I hope you are able to get this sorted. You should be able to ask for a claimant commitment that doesn't require you to do anything you're not currently able to do, or anything which could make you worse. The DWP are responsible for your well-being in this situation. You could also think about seeing your MP so that they know how Universal Credit is affecting disabled people. Your MP might be able to help you personally, and also make sure the system is improved for everyone.

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

• SPH1971
    Thankyou   , to be honest work coach has been fine , I asked for the disability advisour to ring me for advise and it her that said all this stuff . And kept comparing her situation and pain to mine when she had no idea what I've been through.  I might actually complane about her because she will be doing this to others 
    Thanks for reply 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    SPH1971,

Yes I agree, you should complain. The disability adviser should be giving you support and not suggesting you should do more than you are able to do. She's clearly made you feel worse and that's the opposite of what her job is supposed to be.
    We none of us can know what others have been through. I'm really sorry this happened and I hope you can raise it so that other people get a better service.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.