I've just been diagnosed with PTSD and Autism recently, advice? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've just been diagnosed with PTSD and Autism recently, advice?

Bigjay4382
Bigjay4382 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello,

I've just been diagnosed with PTSD and Autism over the past 9 months, advice?

I'm a 36 year old fella with no experience regarding mental health.

Thank you.

Comments

• EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Hello - I hope you get some good support re your PTSD [the symptoms of which could overlap with autism symptoms] - whilst a lot of people seem to just be given medication for PTSD there are other options e.g. EMDR [Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing] is increasingly being recognised as effective, and there is therapy which is specifically trauma focused which you could have a look into and chat to your GP about - or look into it privately if you have the funds.   Good luck.  Emma
  • Bigjay4382
    @EmmaB Thank you very much for the advice. I agree, after doing a little looking around, there are a number of symptoms that seem to overlap both conditions.
    I was diagnosed with PTSD last November, but now referred to a psychologist, and also undertaking an educational workshop with combat stress too, as I am ex-forces.

Many thanks again.

James 
  • EmmaB
    Sounds like you are on track James.  There's a great book called Healing Trauma by Peter Levine in which he says, 'Trauma is a fact of life but it doesn't have to be a life sentence', there's a way out and I really hope you find it!  Best wishes.  Emma
  • EmmaB
    PS as you are ex-forces - there's a lot of good information on the Help For Heroes website but I expect you already know about that one.
  • Bigjay4382
    Any and all advice and suggestions are always welcome.
    Thank so much again @EmmaB

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.