Mental health issues
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

Struggling to sleep

SystemSystem Posts: 471 Scope community team
edited July 2018 in Mental health issues
This discussion was created from comments split from: mental health nurse.

Replies

• JazzguitarJazzguitar Member Posts: 180 Courageous
    Sorry to interrupt your thread. I am a depressed man 63 years old in Plymouth Devon. I am on Mirtazapine and Amytriptiline but they do not seem to help. ANd I cannot sleep. Any ideas please? Neville
  • susan48susan48 Member Posts: 2,229 Disability Gamechanger
    @Jazzguitar, try starting a new discussion, that way you hopefully will get ideas.

Id see your gp though, Iv insomnia and on sleeping tablets.

Best start a new thread for more info.
  • poppawotsypoppawotsy Member Posts: 11 Listener
    Get a  copy of Easy Rider listen relax and chill ,out! Seriously, a nice hot bath and pour plenty of warm/hot water over your head, dry off and go to bed! If that fails put channel 232 on feeviiew! Seriously see G.P. and ask him to change meds!Now:run bath and go to bed! Good-Luck!
  • TopkittenTopkitten Member Posts: 1,263 Pioneering
    Could you please elaborate a little. Do you mean you never sleep? Or perhaps you only drop off when exhausted or other specific circumstance? Or perhaps that you cannot sleep regularly at night? Also have you discussed it with the GP? Mirtazapine is an anti-depressant and so is Amytryptylene to a lesser extent. However, sometimes the latter is prescribed for neural pain so do you suffer that? Have you tried medication for sleeping is something else useful to know. Personally I found Amytryptylene was very good at putting me to sleep, too good in fact, lol!

Sorry not to have been of more help but can maybe answer better with more information if you don't mind sharing.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Member Posts: 5,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jazzguitar, so sorry to hear you're having trouble sleeping- I know how debilitating it can be.

As the others have said, different things work for different people, however The National Sleep Foundation has some great (non-pharmaceutical) tips on helping to improve sleep. Otherwise, it might be worth talking to your GP about trying a different medication- I trialled 4 different options before I found one that even marginally improved things for me, so don't give up hope! 
Sign in or join us to comment.