migrated from IB to ESA, they missed off approx £60 a week — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

migrated from IB to ESA, they missed off approx £60 a week

j4janey
j4janey Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi

I just received a form esa3wul((iBR)

I believe when I migrated from IB to ESA they missed off my SEP of approx £60 a week

I just checked my housing benefit calculation and they have it included it  in the money I am receiving.

I am not a stupid person, however, HB calculations are so confusing I thought the SEP was an amount they allowed me to have towards housing costs based on my limitations so never queried it.
My question is why did they tell the housing benefit folk they were paying me when they were not and why didn't the HB dept notice I was not receiving it when they examined my bank account statements.

Oh and finally the letter says they will phone me in the next two weeks to discuss it, is there any chance I will be given any of it back atthis late stage and I noticed on the return reply 'B709' is handwritten, does that mean anything important

I am new here so not sure if it is okay to blurt out lots of questions

Thanks

J4

Comments

• j4janey
    In previous post please replace SEP with SEP.

Amateur, I'm afraid

J4
  • j4janey
    SDP  keyboard stuck on E.

Sorry sorry
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @j4janey and a very warm welcome to the community!
    Thank you for coming to the community with these questions. I hope you are able to get some answers. Have you phones DWP about this?
    Scope

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi j4janey

The letter you've received might be good news. The government has recognised that many people, when they transferred from IB to ESA weren't paid properly, and they are conducting an exercise to put it right, to an extent. 

They are paying arrears from either the date you were transferred, or 21/10/14 (the dateof a High Court ruling) if that is later, at the moment, but we'r hopeful that a further court case will force arrears payments from whatever date you were transferred from one benefit to the other. 

I hope the link helps.
    http://www.cpag.org.uk/content/incapacity-esa#footnote15_j4pqz98

Best wishes

Gill_Scope
  • Luv44
    Luv44 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Hi, the dwp have made a u turn and will backdate any payments to when you transferred from inc benefit to esa.. I was backdated to the 21/10/14 and received what was owed ( enhanced disability premium ) 
    I actually transferred from ib to esa support group in July 2013, Which the dwp will now pay.. 
    At last, people will receive what is rightfully theirs.. 
    Good luck everyone 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Luv44 said:
    Hi, the dwp have made a u turn and will backdate any payments to when you transferred from inc benefit to esa.. I was backdated to the 21/10/14 and received what was owed ( enhanced disability premium ) 
    I actually transferred from ib to esa support group in July 2013, Which the dwp will now pay.. 
    At last, people will receive what is rightfully theirs.. 
    Good luck everyone 
    There's a new announcement a just couple of days ago. DWP are now paying everyone back dated to 2011 and not 2014. https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jul/18/government-will-pay-arrears-thousands-benefit-claimants-backdated-2011

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Yes, one piece of really good news. Hats off to the pressure groups like the National Association for Welfare Rights Advisers (NAWRA) who orchestrated some pressure.

Gill_Scope
  • Geojones1920
    Geojones1920 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    It's the questions they ask you that makes it sound like a scam from the DWP. Like have you had a pay out by an insurance company or any other big pay out as thou they had your bank statements 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    It's the questions they ask you that makes it sound like a scam from the DWP. Like have you had a pay out by an insurance company or any other big pay out as thou they had your bank statements 
    That's because accident insurance payouts affect means tested benefits like Income related ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.