What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

where do I stand on the SDP

SystemSystem Posts: 471 Scope community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Disability premium.

Replies

• Panda70Panda70 Member Posts: 23 Courageous
    I read n a Facebook page that if you get income based ESA /pip you could be entitled to SDP. I previously got it when  was on enhanced daily living but now I get standard daily living and standard mobility and don't get it ,my partner does not claim carers allowance for me and don't clam it for myself so where do I stand on the SDP?? We get joint claim ESA too income based ,thanks 
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hello Panda70

SDP is payable is typically paid to you if:
    1. you live alone or your partner who you live with also receives PIP(daily living), attendance allowance, DLA (middle/high rate care), an Armed Forces Independent payment or they are registered blind.
    2. no-one claims carers allowance for looking after you
    3. you receive PIP(daily living), attendance allowance, DLA (middle/high rate care).

You receive PIP(standard rate daily living), and your partner does not claim carers allowance,  however it sounds like you are living with your partner (as a joint ESA claim is paid) and so on this basis it looks like (unless he receives a benefit is details above) you will not get the SDP.

You mentioned getting SDP when you received PIP, enhanced rate of daily living. Was is the severe disability premium (SDP) you received or the enhanced disability premium (EDP)? The EDP is paid to people in receipt of e.g. enhanced rate daily living OR are in the support group of ESA.

If you are in the support group of ESA then the EDP should still be paid, if not contact ESA immediately and query your award. 

If you are not entitled to SDP then it maybe worth thinking about your partner claiming carers allowance (CA) for looking after you. This is because although CA is deducted pound for pound from ESA entitlement you may still be better off as a carers premium will also then be included in your ESA amount. 

I have put  a link below to CA and who qualifies.

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance

Below is also a link to a site which will direct you to a benefit calculator, if you want to check benefit amounts.

https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators 

Maria
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.